All right…let’s be clear…the best version of this amazing sandwich will always be to slow cook the brisket, off direct heat, in a smoker. BUT…if that’s not an option for you…these will do the trick…and trust me…no one will be complaining. PERFECT for game day…cook all night in your slow cooker…brown some nice buns the next day…slice some onion and serve with good pickles…wow.
Game-Day Chopped Brisket BBQ Sandwiches
- 4 lb brisket trimmed of excess of fat
- 1 1/2 cups good ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp mustard I like to use Grey Poupon
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Place roast beef in slow cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients. Mix.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 10 hours.
- Remove roast, shred meat with 2 forks.
- Pour liquid from slow cooker dish into a large bowl
- Place shredded meat back into slow cooker dish.
- Add about 1 to 2 cups of liquid back to the meat (should be moist, but not swimming)
- Stir to fully coat the meat.
- Place slow cooker on warm level.
- Butter sandwich buns, and then place them in the oven under broil (low) for about 4 minutes, or until nicely browned (keep a close eye one this)
- Serve with sliced onion and bread and butter pickles