Chicken, Mushroom and Sage Casserole is so deeply satisfying.
The flavors work together beautifully in this heart-warming dish.
Perfect for a weeknight (or a weekend!).
CHICKEN, MUSHROOM AND SAGE CASSEROLE IS A PERFECT WEEKNIGHT MEAL
Prep all the ingredients ahead of time, and assembly is a snap.
We just love fresh sage. And almonds. And rice. And chicken. We love it all.
Mmmmm. What could be better than a Chicken, Mushroom and Sage Casserole on a cold night?
Sear the chicken breasts first to lock in the flavor.
The chicken will finish cooking in the oven.
Sautéed mushrooms are perfect in this Chicken, Mushroom and Sage Casserole.
Use you favorite kind of mushroom, any variety will work perfectly.
A roux creates a thick gravy that bakes wonderfully in the oven.
This is a blonde roux that comes together in only about 4 to 5 minutes.
Finally, assembling the casserole is an exciting event!
You can just see how delicious it will once it’s finished baking.
And…it’s all in one glorious dish!
All the flavors come together for this Chicken, Mushroom and Sage Casserole.
Serve this anytime of the year, but it’s especially comforting when the temperature outside is on the chilly side.
Roasted chicken, with sauteed mushrooms, with wild rice and sage. Absolute perfection. 100% Loon Approved.
Chicken, Mushroom & Sage Casserole
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 skinless / boneless chicken breasts
- 3 shallots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb assorted fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 6 oz package long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage plus 1 more teaspoon for garnish
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken breasts
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the chicken, and cook 5 minutes, or until browned, turn and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate (chicken will not be cooked completely at this point).
- Repeat procedure with 1 tablespoon butter and remaining chicken. Wipe the skillet clean.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots, and saute 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic, and saute for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in sherry and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in a different large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in stock and bring to a boil. Cook and whisk until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add rice (reserve the flavor packet for another use) and the cheese, parsley, sage, salt & pepper, and shallot/mushroom mixture.
- Lightly grease a 13/9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon mixture into dish and then top with chicken.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165 F on an meat thermometer.
- Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds and sage.