Looking for an appetizer to really please a crowd? Well, look no further than this incredible Sausage-Stuffed Mushrooms recipe!
These babies are so delicious, it’s impossible to not keep going back for more!
We truly love mushrooms of all varieties, but just your basic white button mushroom works perfectly for this recipe. Try and choose larger-sized mushrooms, they hold more of the amazing filling, and work perfectly.
But, you can use smaller ones, as well. You’ll just have more (but smaller) stuffed mushies for serving!
The ingredients for the sausage filling are Italian perfection. We love the addition of some vinegary cherry peppers. The tang and the touch of heat is the perfect compliment to the sausage.
Everything comes together in such a delicious way!
The cooked filling is so good, you could almost sit down with the plate and just eat it as is!
But, try and resist. This filling is perfectly constructed to bake inside a mushroom cap with a little olive oil!
Take a look at this sausage-stuffed mushroom, and tell us you don’t want to immediately pop that into your mouth!
And while we’re talking about mushrooms, you’ll just love our Polenta with Sautéed Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions and Seared Haddock with Mushroom Agrodolce Sauce and our Wild Mushrooms with Shallots and Garlic!
As soon as you pull these out of the oven, you will see that they simply make the best stuffed mushrooms you’ll ever try. The flavor is so comforting and perfectly balanced.
You can’t get much better of a yummy appetizer than this dish! Mmmmmmm.
Okay, I think we’ve hopefully got you convinced. But, just in case…take one more close look at these Sausage-Stuffed Mushrooms.
You gotta make these!
But in the meantime, let’s make this amazing Sausage-Stuffed Mushrooms recipe!
FOR THE SEASONED BREADCRUMBS
- 3 slices white bread crusts removed, torn into large pieces
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese grated
- 1 heaping tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of salt and pepper
FOR THE MUSHROOMS
- 16 large white button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tbsp
- 3 oz sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 cup green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 cup prepared seasoned bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup chicken stock plus 2 more tablespoons (for baking)
- 2 tbsp Romano cheese grated
- 1/4 cup cherry red, green, or combo in vinegar, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
MAKE THE SEASONED BREADCRUMBS
- In a food processor, pulse the bread until coarsely ground.
- Add the cheese, garlic, parsley, oregano, and pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse again until crumbs are finely ground. Set aside.
PREPARE THE STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- Wipe the mushrooms clean and remove the stems. Pick out the 12 best and largest caps, and set them aside.
- Finely chop the remaining 4 mushroom caps and all of the stems (you can use your food processor for this). Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat 1/4 cup of the oil over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the sausage and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Break the sausage apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add the green peppers, garlic and chopped mushroom and raise the heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until it is starting to brown and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the bread crumbs and chicken stock (3/4 cup). Cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese and pickled cherry peppers.
- Spread the mixture onto a platter and let cool for a bit. Transfer to the refrigerator for about 15 minutes, or until it has completely cooled.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Stuff each of the reserved mushrooms caps with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sausage mixture.
- Place the stuffed mushrooms in a casserole dish and drizzle them with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add 2 tablespoons chicken stock into the dish.
- Bake them for 20 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms to a platter and spoon juices over the top.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and a dusting of Romano cheese. Serve at once.