Comfort doesn’t get much better than this…Roasted tomato and basil soup is a favorite of the Loon and me. Be sure to whip up your favorite grilled cheese sandwich for the most delicious dipping dish you’ll ever taste!
Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup
- 9 Roma tomatoes sliced lengthwise
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme minced
- 1 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes pulsed several times in food processor
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Spread tomato halves on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and then sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Roast tomatoes for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pot (or Dutch oven) over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Quickly pulse the canned San Marzano tomatoes in your food processor.
- Add pulsed tomatoes, basil (fresh and dried) and sugar to the simmering pot
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and the roasted tomatoes into the pot.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Very carefully pour soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour soup back into the pot and blend in the cream.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- To make the mini croutons: Cut a few small pieces of bread in small cubes, add a little oil, diced garlic and basil...bake at 400 for about 7 minutes... these make wonderful croutons!
- Add the croutons to the top of the served soup, sprinkle with finely chopped basil