You won’t find a much more vibrant, delicious and fresh dish than this Pappardelle with Seasonal Vegetables. I just love making this in the Spring when veggies are young and plentiful. You can choose whatever you find at your local farmer’s market…but I love to go with baby carrots, asparagus, shelled sugar snap peas, parsnips and finish it off with a beautiful blend of herbs such as basil, parsley and marjoram. Find fresh pappardelle at specialty food stores such as Whole Foods, or make your own, or, cook lasagna sheets, and then cut 1/2″ strips. This dish is healthy and literally exploding with flavor. 125% Loon Approved!
Pappardelle with Seasonal Vegetables
- 1/2 lb fresh pappardelle pasta can use linguine*
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 bunch medium asparagus ends trimmed
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup spring onions aka Cipolline (can use small shallots)
- 1/2 cup shelled sugar snap peas
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh marjoram chopped
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Pea shoots or watercress for garnish
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese optional, for garnish
- *Available at specialty food stores ie, Whole Foods, Italian markets, or make your own
- In a small pan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add the onions...simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove the onions with a slotted spoon. Cut off the root end, and squeeze the onion out of the skin. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, bring the stock, garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add the asparagus, carrots, onions and peas and simmer until just tender, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon, or use a colander (don't discard the liquid)
- Raise the heat to high and cook the liquid down to about 1 cup, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Add the cooked pasta, vegetables, herbs, butter and zest to the stock. Gently stir for 1 minute, or until butter is melted and pasted is coated.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve in plates garnished with pea shoots and topped with Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings (if using).