Zucchini and Summer Squash “Pasta” Salad is literally brimming with fresh garden flavors. I love the trick of adding a little salt to thinly sliced zucchini and squash, and then wait about 20 minutes until it transforms into sheets of pasta-like veggies! Just be sure to thoroughly run the salt-soaked zucchini and squash under cold water for at least several minutes to ensure you get the salt off. These flavors are at their best when the few, but amazing, ingredients come in from the garden. It’s a beautiful salad, too. A true H2FaL favorite salad! 115% Loon Approved!
Zucchini and Summer Squash "Pasta" Salad
- 2 zucchini
- 2 summer squash
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes - halved or 3 large tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1/2 large red onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil cut into thin ribbons
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Parmesan-Reggiano shavings
- Using a mandoline, or a sharp knife, cut each zucchini and squash lengthwise into slices about 1/8".
- Transfer slices to a large bowl, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt over the veggies, and toss to coat.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Gently rinse the slices under cold running water for several minutes to remove the salt.
- Pat the slices dry with a kitchen towel and arrange in a loose mound on a plate or medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes and their juices, onion, garlic, and basil and toss gently to mix.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of the oil and a pinch of salt and pepper into the tomato mixture.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the zucchini and squash and season with a few grinds of black pepper.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the zucchini and squash.
- Top with shaved Parmesan.