Don’t you just love fresh vegetables during those glorious summer months? Boy, do we ever!
This salad almost feels like you’re eating pasta because the zucchini and squash are shaped like sheets of pasta, but it’s all vegetables in this dish! This is vibrant, delicious, and very healthy, too! You can’t be that!
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI AND SUMMER SQUASH SALAD
This dish is literally brimming with fresh garden flavors. And zucchini and squash are loaded with wonderful nutrients. Learn more about how great they are for good health here!
Our trusty mandolin allows us to slice the vegetables into thin sheets. A sharp knife and a steady hand will do the trick, as well.
We love the trick of adding a little salt to thinly sliced zucchini and squash, and then wait about 20 minutes until it transforms into sheets of pasta-like veggies!
BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER
Fresh tomatoes and herbs brighten the salad and add even more nutritional value.
Everything about this salad just screams summer!
Be sure to thoroughly run the salt-soaked zucchini and squash under cold water for at least several minutes to ensure you get the salt off. These flavors are at their best when the few, but amazing, ingredients come in from the garden. It’s a beautiful salad, too. A true H2FaL favorite salad!
But in the meantime, make this amazing Zucchini and Summer Squash Salad!
And when you do, be sure to take a photo, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
Zucchini and Summer Squash Salad
- 2 zucchini
- 2 summer squash
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved, or 3 large tomatoes, cored and diced
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil cut into thin ribbons
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Parmesan-Reggiano shavings
- Using a mandoline, or a sharp knife, cut each zucchini and squash lengthwise into slices about 1/8".
- Transfer slices to a large bowl, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt over the veggies, and toss to coat.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Gently rinse the slices under cold running water for several minutes to remove the salt.
- Pat the slices dry with a kitchen towel and arrange in a loose mound on a plate or medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes and their juices, onion, garlic, and basil and toss gently to mix.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of the oil and a pinch of salt and pepper into the tomato mixture.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the zucchini and squash and season with a few grinds of black pepper.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the zucchini and squash.
- Top with shaved Parmesan.