This Green Bean and Tomato Salad with Scallion Dressing is really refreshing and bursting with wonderful farm-fresh flavors.
The dressing is similar to Homemade Ranch, but with a twist of fresh scallions. Cooking the beans in stock infuses incredible flavor. Here, we use chicken stock, but feel free to use vegetable stock for a completely vegetarian dish.
HOW TO MAKE GREEN BEAN AND TOMATO SALAD
You will be amazed at how quickly the incredibly delicious salad comes together.
We strongly recommend going with fresh green beans for this recipe. Besides being delicious, they are really nutritious and so good for a healthy body and mind!
Fresh leeks, as well as ripe cherry tomatoes, bring this amazing salad to life!
HOW TO COOK GREEN BEANS AND LEEKS
This Green Bean and Tomato Salad with Scallion Dressing is amazing as a salad, but also a wonderful side dish.
Colorful and beautiful, the salad is the quintessential summertime dish, but honestly, most of these ingredients you can get your hands on year-round.
EXPERT TIP: Simmer the greens beans and the leeks until tender. If you like your beans with a little crunch to them, only simmer them for about 5 minutes, if you like them very tender, then let them go 10 to 15 minutes. Do a taste test to determine the appropriate tenderness for you.
The Scallion Buttermilk Dressing is so deeply flavorful and the perfect match for this salad.
Fresh scallions (or green onions) are the way to go! We like using the white and green parts of the scallion. So fresh and delicious!
THE PERFECT DRESSING FOR GREEN BEAN AND TOMATO SALAD
We love this dressing so much, and it really is perfect for this salad.
Make it in advance, and you’re good to go.
It’s actually even better after it has chilled overnight in the refrigerator!
Ready to make the best salad for the summer and beyond? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a picture, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
Green Bean and Tomato Salad with Scallion Dressing
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 lb green beans fresh, trimmed
- 2 large leeks white and pale-green parts only, halved, and cut into 2" pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large heirloom tomato sliced
- ½ cup mint leaves fresh, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh scallions
- ½ cup Scallion-Buttermilk Dressing
- In a large pot, bring the stock to a boil.
- Carefully add the beans to the stock and cook until just tender about 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a colander set in a bowl of ice water, drain.
- Place beans in a large bowl.
- Bring the stock back to a boil and then add the leeks and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes, and then drain.
- Add the cooked leeks to the bowl of beans and add the cherry tomatoes and olive oil and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve salad over tomato slices and then drizzle the dressing over the top.
- Then top with mint and scallions.