There is something just so satisfying about a Classic Cobb Salad. All the flavors come together to make such a wonderful taste combination. This salad will fill you up, that’s for sure. For a lighter version, go with half the cheese and use less of the vinaigrette.
Classic Cobb Salad
- 2 large eggs
- 3 skinless & boneless chicken breast halves about 6 oz each
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 thick slices Applewood-smoked bacon roughly chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 Romaine lettuce hearts washed, dried, and roughly chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved (use red and yellow for a colorful presentation)
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese Gorgonzola is nice, too
- 1 cup mustard vinaigrette click for easy recipe
MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE
HARD BOIL THE EGGS
- Hard boil the eggs by placing them in a saucepan just large enough to hold them. Add cold water to cover by 1 inch and bring just to a boil over high heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cover. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Drain the eggs, then transfer to a bowl of ice water and let cool.
- Peel the eggs and cut into quarters.
PREPARE THE CHICKEN
- One chicken breast at a time, place in a large freezer bag, and using the side of a meat pounder, pound the chicken breasts until they are uniform 1/2-inch thick.
- Season with salt, pepper and the herbs (press to help the herbs adhere).
- In a large nonstick pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through (about 5 minutes per side).
- Transfer to a plate to cool.
FRY THE BACON
- Add the bacon to the frying pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
- When ready to serve, slice the chicken breasts across the grain into strips.
- Divide the lettuce evenly among 4 individual plates, or heap it onto a platter.
- Arrange the chicken, bacon, tomatoes, avocado, eggs, and cheese on the lettuce.
- Drizzle with some of the dressing and serve, passing the remaining dressing on the side.