There is simply nothing more delicious than produce fresh from the farm. I have felt very lucky to live where vegatables are simply amazing when they come out of the ground, Texas and New Jersey. These two places, I am convinced, have the best tomatoes in the world! This recipe is something I came up with, and I think just elevates the natural flavors of these incredible gifts. Make and enjoy!!
Heirloom Tomato Salad
- 6 - 8 ripe heirloom tomatoes and other favorites, including yellow, cherry, and pink.
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1 green onion including green parts, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon of fresh oregano minced
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Country-style bread for dipping
Slice the tomatoes, capturing their juices.
Layer tomatoes on a platter.
Sprinkle them with the sugar and salt to taste.
Toss on green onions, garlic, oregano, and the captured juice.
Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar and sherry vinegar
Drizzle olive oil.
Let stand at room temperature for about 2 hours.
Serve with bread for sopping up the juices!