There is simply nothing more delicious than produce fresh from the farm. I have felt very lucky to live where vegetables are simply amazing when they are grown, Texas and New Jersey. These two places, I am convinced, have the best tomatoes in the world! This recipe is something I came up with, and I think just elevates the natural flavors of these incredible gifts. Make and enjoy!!
Heirloom Tomato Salad
- 6 - 8 ripe heirloom tomatoes and other favorites, including yellow, cherry, and pink.
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1 green onion including green parts, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon of fresh oregano minced
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Country-style bread for dipping
- Slice the tomatoes, capturing their juices.
- Layer tomatoes on a platter.
- Sprinkle them with the sugar and salt to taste.
- Toss on green onions, garlic, oregano, and the captured juice.
- Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar and sherry vinegar
- Drizzle olive oil.
- Let stand at room temperature for about 2 hours.
- Serve with bread for sopping up the juices!