Roasted beets are so amazing. They are chock full of vitamins, and literally explode with flavor when roasted. This Roasted Beets & Watercress Salad with Fresh Mozzarella is truly something special. I recently discovered burrata cheese, which is mozzarella cheese filled with incredible cream and curds. Matched against the simply roasted beets, the slight bite of the watercress and the brightness of the orange and champagne vinegar vinaigrette…this will be one of the best salads you have ever tried. Find the golden beets, as well as the burrata cheese at a specialty market…Whole Foods had a nice variety. So yummy!
Roasted Beets & Watercress Salad with Fresh Mozzarella
- 2 lbs red and/or golden beets trimmed of their stems and washed
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 lb watercress tough stems removed
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella preferably burrata, sliced into bite-size wedges
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Wrap each beet in foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Roast until the beets can easily be pierced with a knife, about 1 hour.
- Unwrap and let cool.
- Gently peel the beets, cut into quarters, and put in two small bowls (keep the red and golden beets separate).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, orange zest and juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Pour half of the dressing over the beets and stir to coat.
- Add the watercress to the remaining dressing and toss to coat.
- Arrange the watercress on individual plates (or one large platter).
- Top with beets.
- Arrange the cheese around the beets and drizzle with any remaining vinaigrette.
- Season with black pepper, and another pinch of salt.