Pesto Pizza with Pancetta, Tomato & Arugula is an all-time favorite for both The Loon and me. This is really an amazing BLT pizza. I just love whipping a an easy batch of pesto, and then using it for the sauce. You will not believe the flavor it gives the pizza. Of course, you can find decent pizza dough at many food markets, but if you want this to be really special, make your own! We love Semolina Pizza Dough. All the ingredients come together to make one of the best tasting pizzas you’ll ever serve (or eat!). 140% Loon Approved!
Pesto Pizza with Pancetta, Tomato & Arugula
- 1 semolina pizza dough click for full recipe, or store bought
- Semolina or corn meal (for dusting)
- 8 oz pancetta cut into cubes (can also use about 6 slices of bacon, roughly chopped).
- 1 cup scallions roughly chopped (can also use leeks)
- 3 tbsp classic pesto sauce click for full recipe
- 1 cup sliced tomatoes roma, or cherry - sliced or roughly chopped
- 4 oz of Fontina cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp good quality red wine vinegar
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups baby arugula
- Prepare semolina pizza dough (unless using store bought).
- Prepare the easy pesto sauce.
- On lightly floured surface, stretch pizza dough to medium thickness. Cover with plastic wrap or kitchen towel.
- Pre-heat oven to 500 F (or pre-heat your pizza maker).
- Sprinkle baking sheet, pizza stone, or pizza peel with a little semolina or corn meal.
- In a large skillet, cook the pancetta (or bacon) over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings in the skillet.
- Cook scallions (or leeks) in the reserved bacon drippings until tender, about 3 - 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread pesto over dough.
- Top with tomato pieces, pancetta and scallions.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt and arugula, toss to coat.
- Top baked pizza with arugula mixture just before serving.