To be completely honest, we’re not big fans of bottled steak sauce. Nothing personal, just not big fans. But when you make it from scratch…holy smokes is it a game-changer.
In our books, there’s nothing much better than a perfectly prepared steak. For instance, we love our Cowboy Ribeye or our Filet Mignon, but even with those, we serve them with homemade sauce (Chimichurri and Bordelaise, respectively). It’s time for a homemade steak sauce that rivals the best sauces in great steakhouses everywhere.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE STEAK SAUCE
A delicious steak sauce is actually quite simple to prepare, but the end result is bold and truly something special.
The entire sauce only takes about 15 minutes to prepare.
So good and a wonderful side to your favorite grilled steaks, and even seafood and vegetables!
THE INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
To make steak sauce from scratch, here’s what you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Tomato paste
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Apple cider vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Lemon juice
- Fresh rosemary
The makings for the best steak sauce in town.
After simmering the onion and garlic in the butter, it’s time to bring it all together.
Just a short simmer of 5 minutes is all that’s needed.
EXPERT TIP: Be sure to strain the mixture through a sieve into a medium-sized bowl. Then end-result should be smooth and silky. We use a wooden spoon to help press that sauce through the mesh.
HOMEMADE STEAK SAUCE MAKES A GREAT GIFT
This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled. Divide it amongst small bottles, label, and give it as a great gift.
The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and freezes beautifully for up to 2 months.
There’s nothing much better than a perfectly prepared steak, either at home or at the greatest steakhouses around the U.S. and beyond.
Ready to make the best homemade steak sauce this side of Kansas City? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a photo, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
Homemade Steak Sauce
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Bourbon optional
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 2 sprigs rosemary fresh
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.4 tbsp unsalted butter, ½ cup onion, 2 cloves garlic
- Add the tomato paste, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, Bourbon, vinegar, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Stir until completely combined.3 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tbsp Dijon mustard, ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp Bourbon, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Add the fresh rosemary and simmer for 5 minutes.2 sprigs rosemary
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl. Press the back of a wooden spoon or spatula onto the mixture to help the liquid completely pass through, leaving behind the solids.
- Serve at once, or transfer to an air-tight container with lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.