This Deep Dish Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Pizza is so delicious, you just won’t believe it. I just love the medium heat in hot Italian sausage. And I love sun dried tomatoes and the incredible taste of broccoli rabe. This is pizza perfection, at least we think. Try this, and we’re pretty sure you’re going to love it. 140% Loon Approved.
Deep Dish Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Pizza
FOR THE PIZZA CRUST
- 3/4 cup warm water 105 F to 115 F
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 4 tsp olive oil divided
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 3 cups broccoli rabe chopped
- 2 tsp fennel
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil drained and chopped
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups shredded smoked Cheddar cheese divided (1/3 cup for filling, 1 cup for topping)
- 2 tsp yellow corneal
- 1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
MAKE THE CRUST
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup warm water, yeast, sugar, and let stand 5 minutes, or until foamy.
- Add olive oil, 2 cups flours, cornmeal, and salt, and stir until a soft dough forms (Or, do this in your stand mixer with the dough attachment and mix fully mixed).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured counters and then knead until dough is smooth and elastic approximately 6 minutes. (add remaining flour 1 teaspoon at a time, to keep the dough from being to sticky).
- Place dough in a medium bowl that has been lightly oiled. Turn the dough until coated with the oil
- Cover, and let rest in a warm draft-free place until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
FOR THE FILLING
- In a large cast-iron skillet , heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned and crumbly, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add broccoli rabe, fennel seed, red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, and vinegar; cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and then stir in the 1/3 cup smoked Cheddar. Transfer to another large bowl and then wipe out the cast iron skillet.
Pre-heat the oven to 450° F.
- Brush bottom of the cast iron skillet with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- On a lightly floured counter, roll the dough into a 13-inch circle.
- Fold the dough into quarters in prepared skillet.
- Unfold the dough; and lightly press into bottom and to sides of skillet.
- Add sausage mixture and then sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of Cheddar and mozzarella.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 17 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.