This deep-dish pizza is so easy to prepare and the flavor profile is off-the-charts good!
Using your cast-iron skillet makes preparing this dish a snap. You can make the semolina dough ahead of time and even the various filling ingredients, too. Plus, this recipe is very easily adaptable to your tastes. And it’s so much fun to prepare and serve!
HOW TO MAKE DEEP DISH PIZZA
Okay, folks, we need to be upfront here. We are crazy for Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza, and our recipe is truly a knock-out (at least we think so!).
This particular deep dish is not in the Chicago style, but it’s still deep, and it’s so easy, and it perfect for quick weeknight dinner, or to serve for the big game or at a party.
Broccoli rabe has a very distinct, almost bitter taste that matches beautifully against the sausage, but regular steamed broccoli florets would work wonderfully, too!
Simmering the sausage with the aromatics is incredible and you won’t believe the smell.
The broccoli rabe cooks very quickly, so all you need to do is simply add it in during the final cooking of the sausage mixture.
SUN-DRIED TOMATOES ADD FLAVOR AND TEXTURE
Let’s go a step further and stir in some sun-dried tomatoes.
It truly rounds out the perfect flavor.
EXPERT TIP: We love using sun-dried tomatoes that are in seasoned oil, but you can use sun-dried tomatoes that are dried. Simply re-constitute them in warm water for about 15 to 20 minutes, and then give them a rough chop.
You can use store-bought pizza dough or our wonderful pizza dough recipe.
Simply roll it out to about 18 inches, and then place in your 10 or 12-inch pizza pan.
It cooks perfectly and is so delicious!
Ready to make the best (and easiest) deep-dish pizza in town? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a picture, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
Deep Dish Pizza with Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
- Cast-iron skillet, 10 or 12 inches
- 1/2 Pizza dough
- 4 tsp olive oil divided
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 lb Italian sausage hot or sweet, casings removed
- 3 cups broccoli rabe chopped
- 2 tsp fennel dried
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil drained and chopped
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1⅓ cups Cheddar cheese smoked, shredded, divided (1/3 cup for filling, 1 cup for topping)
- 2 tsp yellow corneal
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned and crumbly, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add broccoli rabe, fennel seed, red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, and vinegar; cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and then stir in the 1/3 cup smoked Cheddar. Transfer to another large bowl and then wipe out the cast iron skillet.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- Brush bottom of the cast iron skillet with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- On a lightly floured counter, roll the dough into a 13-inch circle.
- Fold the dough into quarters in prepared skillet.
- Unfold the dough; and lightly press into bottom and to sides of skillet.
- Add sausage mixture and then sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of Cheddar and mozzarella.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 17 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.