If you’re looking for a side dish that is a nice change from standard BBQ fare, this dish is for you.
We love side dishes at a BBQ almost as much as we love grilled burgers, pulled pork, and ribs. Actually, when done right, they can steal the show from the main dishes. This is hands-down one of those recipes. Even non-horseradish lovers love this dish! It’s unique and deeply flavorful.
How To Make Creamy Horseradish Potato Salad
This salad doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, but they all work together beautifully.
And so much of it can be prepared ahead of time.
Don’t be afraid of the horseradish sauce, it adds a depth of flavor that almost always gets rave reviews. If you’re wondering, prepared horseradish is a condiment made from the large, white root of the horseradish plant, which is in the same family as mustard and wasabi. It’s not the same as horseradish sauce, which contains other ingredients, such as cream, mayonnaise, or sour cream.
NOTE: If you liked this video, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. Remember to click on the little ‘bell’ icon so you’ll never miss a new video! Thank you!
The Ingredients You Will Need
Like all great side salads, this dish can be adapted to your tastes. We tweaked the dressing over and over until we got the right balance of flavors. If you love horseradish, feel free to increase the amount.
Here’s what you’ll need to bring this salad together:
Yellow potatoes – We love Yukon, but russets will work, too
Shallots – Finely chopped
Celery – Finely chopped
Bacon – Cooked and roughly chopped
Mayonnaise – Go with quality, or make it yourself!
Sour cream – It adds a little tang
Prepared horseradish sauce – We like 2 tbsp, but 3 is wonderful, too
White wine vinegar – A little acid works perfectly
Sugar – The secret ingredient that brings it all together
Salt and pepper
Chives – snipped for garnish
EXPERT TIP: To mute the flavor of the shallots and soften the celery, we recommend transferring the freshly cooked potatoes directly over the vegetables in a large bowl. Allow the potatoes to rest until completely cooled.
Tips for the Perfect Creamy Horseradish Potato Salad
Do Ahead – Cook the potatoes and let them rest with the shallots and celery for up to 3 to 4 hours before adding the dressing. This allows the shallots to mellow in flavor and gives you time to prepare your other dishes. The dressing can be made up to 48 hours in advance.
Adapt to Your Tastes – If you (or your guests) don’t like shallots or celery, leave them out! To make the salad completely vegetarian, leave out the bacon. Other great additions are finely chopped green, red, and/or yellow bell peppers, crispy pancetta, marinated artichoke hearts, sliced olives, or sun-dried tomatoes.
Don’t Add Dressing Too Soon – This salad is best when the dressing is freshly added to the cooled potatoes. We don’t recommend putting the salad together hours in advance and chilling it. It will still be delicious, but the potatoes will absorb much of the dressing and it will lose the luxurious texture. If possible, stir in the dressing within 1 hour of serving and leave it out at room temperature.
Other Classic BBQ Side Dishes to Try
A good BBQ is so much better when you serve spectacular side dishes. Here are some of our all-time favorites:
Classic Potato Salad
Warm Potato Salad
Classic Pasta Salad
Bacon and Ranch Pasta Salad
Zesty Black Bean and Corn Salad
Southern Baked Beans
Slow-Cooker Corn on the Cob
Potatoes Roasted in Foil
But in the meantime, you’ve got to give this uniquely delicious potato salad a try!
You may be wondering if horseradish really works in a potato salad. We wouldn’t lie to you, it is amazing!
Of course, this is great served at a BBQ or summertime feast, but it also works as a side to a standing rib roast.
We are always amazed at how many guests rave about this salad when we serve it. Give it a try and see what you think! Our guess is you will love it as much as we do!
Ready to make the best BBQ side dish on the block? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a photo of it, post it on Instagram, and tag @HowToFeedaLoon and hashtag #HowToFeedaLoon!
Creamy Horseradish Potato Salad
- 3 lbs yellow potatoes or gold, or white, cubed
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 6 strips bacon
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup chives snipped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Place the shallots and celery in the bottom of a large heat-proof bowl.
- Add the potatoes to the water and return to a boil. Stir occasionally and let them boil until soft enough to be just pierced by a sharp knife, usually about 6 to 8 minutes. Immediately drain and transfer the hot potatoes over the shallot and celery. Set aside until completely cooled, at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, wrap a baking sheet in foil and place the bacon strips on it. Place in the oven and bake until crisp, about 15 minutes. Drain on paper towels and then roughly chop. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by whisking together in a small bowl the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Within an hour of serving, gently stir the dressing into the potatoes. Fold in half of the bacon. Top with the remaining bacon and snipped chives. Leave at room temperature until ready to serve.