This Warm Potato Salad recipe is, of course, delicious, when served warm, but it is also amazing when served at room temperature. Which means this is a wonderful do-ahead salad that can be brought to cook-outs, BBQs, picnics…or anytime you’re enlisted to bring an amazing side dish.
This Warm Potato Salad is a summer-time favorite, but we still enjoy it year round.
It’s so good.
We absolutely love small red potatoes. They are really the perfect size and texture for a potato salad.
The tartness of the cornichons (pickles) and the zip from the chives really brings this salad to life.
Doesn’t a good potato salad just conjure memories of good times? Well, if not, make this potato salad, and that will change!
And let’s talk about this vinaigrette, shall we?
Sherry vinegar, along with two types of mustard and top-notch extra-virgin olive oil. Now, that’s good stuff.
It’s so wonderful to see the cooked potatoes just soaking in the incredible vinaigrette.
Oven temperatures can vary pretty significantly from oven to oven, so use the bake time in the recipe as a framework.
If a sharp knife can easily be sliced through the cooked potato, you’ know they’re ready. If not, stick them back in the oven for 15 minute intervals, until they are perfectly cooked.
This salad is always a crowd-pleaser.
I love roasting these potatoes so much, I truly believe it gives the potatoes such a better texture than when you boil them.
The vinaigrette makes this potato salad so wonderful, but you also don’t lose the taste of these glorious little spuds.
You’ll find yourself going back for seconds with this salad, no doubt!
Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, I like to peel the skin off of about half of them.
This is obviously not required, but it does vary the flavor and texture a little, and adds to the already beautiful presentation.
After you add the dressing, it’s good to break some of the potatoes up a bit with the back of a wooden spoon. This helps them absorb even more of the incredible vinaigrette.
Talk about a bowl of beauty! And so delicious!
Now, hurry and go make this incredible Warm Potato Salad recipe!
- 2 lbs small new red potatoes
- 6 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon coarse ground mustard
- 6 to 8 petite dill pickles (cornichons), roughly chopped, plus 1 tablespoon of the pickle juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, we love Rancho Azul y Oro
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chives, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and roast them until tender, about 40 to 55 minutes. (check doneness by inserting a sharp knife).
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette by whisking together the vinegar, both mustards, pickles and pickle juice in a bowl large enough to hold the potatoes.
- Whisk in the olive oil and then the vegetable oil. Season with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper and then stir in the chives.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool enough to handle.
- If desired, peel about half of them.
- Add the potatoes to the vinaigrette and using the back of a wooden spoon (or your fingers), break some of the potatoes up a little.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.