Fried Oyster BLT is truly an amazing sandwich. Truly amazing.
We’ve got to admit that this is one of the best sandwiches we’ve ever made or tried. Obviously, tomatoes are a key ingredient, so this is at its best when they are in peak season. But the lightly fried oysters are easy to prepare and make this ultimate BLT! So good and so easy!
HOW TO MAKE A FRIED OYSTER BLT
As mentioned, the main ingredients are super important when making an epic BLT. Seek out the freshest tomatoes available. And we love watercress for the lettuce.
The bacon has got to be good. We love a good thick, smoked slab bacon, cooked to perfection.
Then, of course, there are the oysters. More on that later. For now, let’s look at these gorgeous tomatoes!
CHOOSING THE BEST OYSTERS
Okay, you can find perfectly wonderful pre-package oysters in the seafood department of most well-stocked supermarkets.
But if you’re feeling really adventurous, and you want to make this Fried Oyster BLT the best sandwich in the world, then go to your local fish market, one that you really like, and ask for nice large, meaty oysters.
EXPERT TIP: Pacific Coast and Gulf oysters work well, but East Coast are wonderful, too. Use a paring knife to separate the oysters from the shell. You’ll want to bread them and fry them immediate, so have your dredging station already set up and the oil ready to go.
HOW TO FRY OYSTERS
The oysters fry very quickly and are so flavorful.
Since the oysters are already loaded with that amazing oyster liquid (or liqueur, as it’s often called), all you need is to dip them in a wonderful dry mixture of cornmeal, flour, and seasoning.
Bring your oil to 350°F and then flash fly them until golden and crunchy on the outside. Just a matter of minutes!
If you’re looking for a great recipe for a standard BLT, look no further: Check out our Classic BLT with Garlic Basil Aioli. It’s to die for! Homemade mayo is a great addition to these Fried Oyster BLTs, too!
In the meantime, go ahead and get the simple, but amazing ingredients and make this incredibly super sandwich!
Fried Oyster B.L.T.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Oil for frying
- 12 large raw oysters shucked
- 4 slices white bread
- Mayo for spreading on bread
- 10 thick-cut bacon slices cooked until crisp and drained
- 1 cup watercress rinsed and dried
- 1 tomato cut into 4 slices
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in either a heavy skillet, or heat your deep fryer - get the oil to 350F (or until it sizzles immediately when you toss in a small piece of bread).
- Toss the oysters in the seasoned flour, shake off the excess.
- Fry the them for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on sized - they should turn a nice golden color. Don't overcook!
- Drain on paper towels.
- Toast the bread by placing the slices of bread onto a baking sheet. Toast for 4 minutes, and then flip the slices, and cook for another 1 minute.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread the mayo on to the bread slices.
- Then build upward on one slice by starting with the oysters, then bacon, tomatoes and watercress.
- Top with remaining slice of bread (spread some mayo on the bottom side, too). Serve at once!