Boy, oh boy…I would have a hard time finding a better sandwich than this one. A lot has to do with the fact that I used Wagyu Cured Beef from the incredible www.FoodShedExchange.com. Really, this is worth the purchase. The taste of the cured beef in this sandwich, along with the perfect homemade Russian dressing, sauerkraut, grilled to perfection on Jewish marbled Rye / Pumpernickel is something to behold. Of course, if you don’t order the Wagyu, you can still get great corned beef from your butcher, or local deli! Okay, let’s get to it…150% Loon Approved!
Classic Reuben Sandwich
- 6 slices of Jewish marbled Rye and Pumpernickel bread Pepperidge Farm has a nice version, or Dark Pumpernickel.
- 2 -3 tbsp unsalted butter softened, for outside of bread slices
- Classic Russian Dressing for spreading
- Approx. 1 & 1/4 lbs thinly sliced lean corned beef
- 12 oz sauerkraut drained
- 6 - 8 slices Swiss Cheese
- Butter one side of the bread slices
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat
- Place a bread slice in the skillet, buttered-side down (place two slices in the skillet, if room, if not, you'll need to keep the cooked sandwiches in a warm oven, until they are all ready for serving).
- Add about a tablespoon of Russian dressing to the bread slice(s).
- Next add a nice heaping handful of the corned beef.
- On top of this, add a layer of the sauerkraut
- On top of the kraut, add cheese slices.
- Add another layer of Russian dressing.
- Top with bread slice, buttered-side on top.
- Once lightly browned, carefully flip the sandwich, and grill the other side until nicely browned.
- Remove and serve at once!