This marinated grilled steak sandwich is melt-in-your-mouth good. The Loon nearly fainted when he took his first bite. Flank steak is perfect for this sandwich. We love it cooked to a nice medium-rare, but medium is great, too. The peppery arugula, fresh tomato, chimichurri mayonnaise, and onion roll makes this steak sandwich one you’ll want to make over and over again.
Marinated Grilled Steak Sandwich
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 2 1/2 to 3 lb flank steak
FOR THE SANDWICHES
- 1 cup Chimichurri Mayonnaise
- 1 ripe tomato sliced
- 6 sliced onion rolls buttered
MAKE THE MARINADE FOR THE STEAK
- Combine the first 7 ingredients and mix well.
- Place the steak into a large freezer bag and pour the marinade into the bag.
- Place the bag with the steak and marinade in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
MAKE THE SANDWICHES
- Prepare your grill to medium-hot heat.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and grill until internal temp reaches 130 F for medium rare (about 5 minutes per side), and 135 F for medium (about 8 minute per side) .
- Remove the steak from grill and allow the steak to rest for 8 - 10 minutes to allow juices to re-distribute. (The meat will continue to cook as it rests)
- Meanwhile, make the chimichurri mayonnaise (this can be made 24 hours ahead of time).
- Toast the buttered buns on the grill until toasty and lightly browned.
- Slice the meat against the grain.
- Slather a good helping of the chimichurri mayo on each bun.
- Add several slices of steak.
- Top with tomato and arugula.