Welcome to Instant Pot Thursday here at How to Feed a Loon! Every Thursday, we’ll be presenting you with a new and super delicious Instant Pot recipe. And Wow! Are we starting with an amazing one: This Italian Pulled Chicken Sandwiches recipe is nothing short of amazing. And it comes together in about 40 minutes! The Loon literally devoured this sandwich. And when he was done, he looked at me and said: “When we open the How to Feed a Loon Cafe…these are a MUST on the menu!”
Just look at these sandwiches!!
I just love using my Instant Pot to make over-the-top tender and delicious meals..in a fraction of the time it would take slow cooking in the oven or in a slow cooker. I tweaked this recipe until it was perfect. Wow, these are so yummy.
The ingredients are simple but distinctly Italian. The pancetta adds a wonderful depth to the flavor. The red wine, garlic, onion, tomatoes, stock and Italian seasonings round out the flavor profile perfectly.
And in a matter of minutes, you will have the most tender chicken you could possibly imagine. We’re not kidding when we tell you this chicken is fork tender. I’m telling you, these Italian Pulled Chicken Sandwiches give my Pulled Pork Sandwiches a run for their money!
We absolutely love using our Instant Pot! Here’s a video showing you how easy it is to use this kitchen appliance that I now use at least 2 to 3 times every single week!
And just look at this Instant Pot Italian Pulled Chicken Sandwiches recipe. This is one you will want to make over and over again. You can also forgo shredding the chicken, and serve it over rice or pasta. Simply amazing!
Now, let’s make this amazing Instant Pot Italian Pulled Chicken sandwich!
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 oz. diced pancetta
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15. oz can diced tomatoes
- ¼ red wine
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 18 oz. jar roasted red peppers, sliced
- 8 Italian rolls
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- Select the Saute setting on your Instant Pot and heat the oil.
- Add the pancetta and cook until starting to become
crisp,about 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and saute for another 3 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes with their liquid, wine, stock tomato paste, salt and pepper, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and bay leaf, and stir with wooden spoon.
- Add the chicken to the pot and nestle the chicken into the sauce.
- Secure the lid and set the Pressure Release to Sealing.
- Press the Cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the Poultry (or Meat/Stew) setting and set the cooking time for 12 minutes at high pressure.
- Perform a quick release by moving the Pressure Release to Venting, or let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the pot. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a cutting board.
- To reduce the sauce, press the Cancel button and then select Saute and cook the sauce for about 12 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, use two forks to shred the cooked chicken.
- Once the sauce has thickened somewhat, removed the bay leaf and add the shredded chicken back to the sauce.
- Butter the buns and toast them under the broiler for about 1 minute, until lightly toasted.
- Place a couple strips of roasted red pepper on each bottom half of the buns.
- Use tongs to place about 1 cup of the pulled chicken onto the red pepper.
- Top with cheese. At this point, you can return to the broiler to quickly melt the cheese, if desired.
- Top with remaining bun tops.