If you’re looking for the perfect (and easy) recipe to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with, you’ve found it.
There is something so soothing and very delicious when these wonderful ingredients come together in the Instant Pot! And it’s really a full meal in one pot. You’ve got carrots, potatoes, beef, and of course, cabbage! And it’s on the table in less than 90 minutes!
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CORNED BEEF WITH CABBAGE
This brisket cut is cured with salt, so it is just loaded with flavor. And thanks to the Instant Pot, it couldn’t be easier to make.
Bring along the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, and the flavorful aromatics that come in the spice packet of the roast, and you’ve got something truly magical to serve!
Of course, this dish is popular at New Year’s, too. Legend has it, this dish brings you luck for the new year! In the Southern U.S., black-eyed peas are New Year’s tradition, and we just love that dish.
But, boy, oh boy, do we love Corned Beef with Cabbage, too!
Set a platter of this deliciousness out at your St. Paddy’s Day or New Year’s Eve party, and you’ll be guaranteed to have a wonderful and prosperous year (or at least a fulfilling NYE!).
TENDER CORNED BEEF
Many home cooks find that corned beef can be tough, even after a long, slow roast in the oven.
The Instant Pot solves this problem, in a fraction of the time.
You won’t believe how tender and juicy the brisket is when you first cut into it.
Use a sharp knife to slice the corned beef against the grain. Place on a nice platter with the steamed vegetables. We just love the presentation of the dish as well as the amazing comforting taste and texture.
This Instant Pot Corned Beef with Cabbage is so good at New Year’s and St. Paddy’s Day, but we love it any time of the year.
Ready to make the best St. Patrick’s Day recipe of them all? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a picture, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
Instant Pot Corned Beef with Cabbage
- Instant Pot
- 3 lb corned beef brisket 3 - 4 lbs, with spice packet
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb potatoes baby red, quartered
- 1 lb carrots 3 to 4 large, peeled, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 small green cabbage cut into 6 wedges
- Place the garlic and corned beef into the Instant Pot.
- Add the water and sprinkle the contents of the spice packet over the top.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, move the valve to SEAL and select the MEAT/STEW setting on HIGH PRESSURE for 55 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and carefully transfer beef to a carving board and tent with foil.
- Remove 2 cups of the water from the Instant Pot and set aside. Carefully discard the remaining water (use oven mitts to do this).
- Add the 2 cups of water back into the Instant Pot.
- Place a steamer basket in the pot and add the potatoes, then carrots, then cabbage, in that order.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and STEAM on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- Perform a Quick Release and remove the veggies from the Instant Pot.
- Slice the beef against the grain and place the vegetables around the meat.
- Lightly salt and pepper the veggies. Serve at once!
POST UPDATE: This recipe was originally published in December 2017, but was updated with tweaks to the recipe, new photography, and a fabulous new video in March 2020!