This post is kindly sponsored by Kroger® and Tyson®, but the recipe, photography, and opinions are 100% ours.
Instant Pot Smoked Sausage Stew is such an comforting fall dish.
This stew is a meal in-and-of-itself and with the help of your Instant Pot, it is on the table within about 40 minutes! Loaded with flavor, this is one recipe you’ll want to make time and time again!
SIMPLE, GOOD-QUALITY INGREDIENTS ARE BEST
You hear us say this a lot, but we truly feel that the best dishes we put on the table use simple and straight-forward techniques and rely on fresh and quality ingredients.
This Instant Pot Smoked Sausage Stew is absolutely no exception. We knew we needed a super flavorful smoked sausage that was loaded with traditional spices and packed with flavor.
That was easy…our go-to choice is always Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage. We’ll round out the incredible flavors with fresh vegetables, chicken stock, apple cider and sauerkraut. Now that’s a stew worth writing home about!
HOW TO MAKE SMOKED SAUSAGE STEW
Making Instant Pot Smoked Sausage Stew is incredibly easy, but the end result is just amazing.
There is just something so satisfying about being able to create a stew that is this flavorful in all of 40 minutes from start to finish!
Watch us show you how easy it is to make this incredible Instant Pot Smoked Sausage Stew!
We find that slicing the Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage into large chunks makes for a more hearty stew.
We also like to cut the vegetables a little larger than you normally might, because this helps them not get too soft when they cook in the high heat of the pressure cooker.
Smoked sausage and fresh vegetables are the key ingredients in this awesome Smoked Sausage Stew, but we’re just getting started!
SEARING THE HILLSHIRE FARM SMOKED SAUSAGE LOCKS IN FLAVOR
To get the party going, we turn our Instant Pot to SAUTE on High and get it nice and hot.
Then we add the sausage chunks and cook them until they are nicely browned.
EXPERT TIP: Searing the smoked sausage not only helps to lock in delicious flavor, it also creates a layer of goodness on the bottom of the pan that gets soaked into the stew magic.
Next is an easy sauté of the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. A healthy pinch of dried thyme is always a nice touch.
Next we add in the chicken stock, apple cider, bay leaves, and potatoes. If you can, using homemade chicken stock makes this stew even better!
And then back in goes the seared smoked sausage. This is so easy…and is already looking amazing!
THE STEW ONLY PRESSURE COOKS FOR 4 MINUTES
Now it’s time to pressure cook the Instant Pot Smoked Sausage Stew!
Secure the lid in place, turn the valve to ‘Sealing’, and then set the Instant Pot on the Pressure Cook or Manual or Stew setting on High to just 4 minutes!
Soon the valve will seal, the right high-pressure temperature is reached, and in just a few minutes, it’s ready to release the steam!
Once all the pressure has been released, and the little valve has lowered again, it’s time to lift the lid and behold the beauty of the stew.
But wait!! You’re not finished, it’s time to stir in the prepared, drained sauerkraut!
HOW TO SERVE THE STEW
You won’t believe the incredible smell as the Instant Pot is releasing steam.
The broth is just incredible, and we love to serve it with thickly sliced, toasted bread.
Perfect for sopping up all the deliciousness! And wait until you bite into the incredible Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage. Mmmm.
We just love this Instant Pot Smoked Sausage Stew so much. And as you can see (and practically smell), the star of this dish is Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage.
The flavors simply are the best around and work wonderfully in the stew.
We always pick up our Hillshire Smoked Sausage at our local Kroger family of brands store. We love Kroger! Click here to add them to your cart or list!
Ready to get comfy this fall with one of the most delicious stews you’ll ever serve? Go for it!
And when you make this awesome dish, be sure to take a photo, post on Instagram, and tag: @howtofeedaloon and @Krogerco and @hillshirefarm!
Instant Pot Smoked Sausage Stew
- Instant Pot
- 2 tsp olive oil divided
- 1 14 oz. Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage Cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 carrots sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 1 lb potatoes small gold, cut into halves or quarters
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 cup sauerkraut drained
- whole grain mustard for garnish, optional
- Using the SAUTE function, add the oil into the Instant Pot. Once hot, add the sliced smoked sausage, stirring occassionally, until lightly browned all over. Remove from Instant Pot.
- Add the onion and saute until soft, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any of the sausage bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan, about 4 minutes.
- Next, add the celery and carrots and cook for about 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Hit CANCEL. Now, add the potatoes, bay leaves, thyme, chicken stock, apple cider, salt and pepper. Cover and set Release Valve to Sealing. Select PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL or STEW on High for 4 minutes.
- When pressure cooking has finished, hit CANCEL. Naturally Release for 5 minutes, and then very carefully move the Release Valve to Venting for Quick Release.
- Once the valve drops, carefully remove the lid. Stir in the sauerkraut. Taste and add more salt, if desired.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve at once, with whole grain mustard on the side, if desired.