Croque Madame is a spectacular and decadent breakfast sandwich that is truly something to behold.
It’s a grilled cheese sandwich on major French steroids.
And it is undeniably delicious.
CROQUE MADAME IS EASY TO MAKE AT HOME
This is a dish that will undoubtedly “wow” your guests, or significant other…or, just yourself.
It definitely has major “wow” factor.
Watch us show you how easy it is to make this incredible Croque Madame in your very own kitchen!
Whenever we start to feel sorry for ourselves because we’re not enjoying the sights, sounds and tastes of France, I whip up a batch of Croque Madame. That, and when we feel like being a little decadent.
Leave it to the French to take a pretty basic grilled cheese sandwich and elevate it to gastronomical heights.
It all starts with nice thick slices of bread….toasted to perfection. To put this over the top, make Homemade Country White Bread from scratch. Just click the link, you won’t believe how easy it is to prepare!
CROQUE MADAME IS MADE WITH MORNAY SAUCE
Mornay Sauce is a delicious sauce made with cream and Gruyere cheese.
This is what helps to elevate this sandwich beyond your everyday grilled cheese with ham.
TOP A CROQUE MADAME WITH A SUNNY SIDE UP EGG
It all comes together in this amazing breakfast sandwich, that is so filling and is wonderful anytime of the day or night.
We love the Croque Madame topped with a sunny side up egg.
This is the ultimate in brunch gooey, yummy, rich….deliciousness.
Croque Madame is classic French comfort food.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk warmed
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese shredded
- 5 tsp Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 8 slices good-quality white sandwich bread
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced Black Forest ham
MAKE THE MORNAY SAUCE
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth and bring to a gentle bubbling without browning, whisking frequently, for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the warm milk, raise the heat to medium, and bring to a gentle boil, whisking frequently.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, whisking frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese and 1 teaspoon of the mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, set aside and let cool.
MAKE THE TOAST AND EGGS
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the bread slices in a single layer and bake, turning once, until toasted on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into the pan, and season with salt and pepper, then cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the whites have just set, about 2 minutes for sunny-side up eggs.
MAKE THE CROQUE MADAME
- Pre-heat the broiler.
- Spread 4 bread slices with the remaining 4 teaspoons mustard.
- Add an equal amount of the sliced ham and 1 tablespoon of the sauce to each slice.
- Top with the remaining bread slices.
- Return the sandwiches to the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the tops of the sandwiches, and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of the remaining cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and golden, about 2 minutes (keep an eye on them...don't let burn!).
Transfer to individual plates, top each with a fried egg. Serve at once.