Stir-Fry Chicken with Broccoli and Mushrooms is classic Chinese cuisine and extremely flavorful.
We love ordering Chinese food from takeout and dining at Chinese cuisine restaurants, and making Chinese food at home! This dish is authentic, yet not hard to make!
HOW TO MAKE STIR-FRY CHICKEN WITH BROCCOLI AND MUSHROOMS
The ingredients in this dish can mostly be found at well-stock supermarkets, some in the Asian section.
If you can’t find canned straw mushrooms, then you can just go with any fresh and sliced variety, or even canned mushrooms.
EXPERT TIP: Have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to use because this dish comes together very quickly.
FERMENTED BLACK BEANS ADD AUTHENTIC TASTE
Fermented black beans are loaded with a salty, deeply flavorful taste and are classic in Chinese cooking.
This ingredient is easily found at your local Asian market or ordered online.
EXPERT TIP: Black bean sauce is commonly found in the Asian section of most well-stocked supermarkets and can be substituted for fermented black beans. Canned black beans are not the same as black bean sauce or fermented black beans and should not be used as a substitute.
HOW TO COOK STIR-FRY CHICKEN WITH BROCCOLI AND MUSHROOMS
You’ll want to get your wok as hot as it can get. Be careful, though! We always recommend using a wok ring when cooking with a wok on your stovetop.
Cook the ingredients in stages and the entire dish comes together quickly. As we mentioned, it’s important to have all of your ingredient prepped and ready to go next to your wok as you being the stir-frying process.
If you don’t have a wok, this dish can easily be prepare in a large skillet.
We just can’t rave enough about this classic Chinese dish. Chicken, broccoli, and mushrooms are perfect for stir-frying. Adding the authentic Chinese aromatics puts it over the top and is very authentic.
This dish is so much fun to make in your own kitchen, and without doubt, this will give your favorite take-out restaurant a run for their money.
Serve Stir-Fry Chicken with Broccoli and Mushrooms over your favorite type of rice and be prepared for pure Chinese cuisine deliciousness.
Stir-Fry Chicken with Broccoli and Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp fermented black beans*
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 3/4 lb boneless chicken thighs roughly chopped (into bite-size pieces)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and grated (or finely chopped)
- 2 cups 6 oz broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup 2 oz finely chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 15 oz. can straw mushroom* drained
- Cooked rice noodles or white rice (for serving)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leave preferably Thai, thinly slice
- *Available in Asian food markets or online
PREPARE THE CHICKEN
- In a bowl, soak the black beans in the sherry for 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving the sherry.
- In another bowl, mix the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and the sesame oil.
- Cover and let stand for about 20 minutes.
READY THE WOK
- In a wok (or large skillet), heat the peanut oil over high heat.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry, until starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl (don't worry, you're not done cooking it yet).
- Add the garlic, ginger, and black beans to the wok and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli and shallots and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the stock, reserved sherry, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to combine.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the mushrooms, and stir-fry until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Serve over noodles or rice (if using), and garnish with the basil.