When you make this dish, there will be no breakfast/brunch joint that will have anything on you. It’s really that GOOD.
Huevos Rancheros is a Mexican brunch dish that has been around for generations. And it’s no wonder why…it’s amazingly delicious! Topped with a deeply flavorful authentic ranchero sauce that brings it all together. And it all comes together in about 30 minutes. Brunch never tasted so good!
How To Make Huevos Rancheros
This dish is a snap to bring together. You can even make the ranchero sauce a day or two in advance.
You can serve the eggs any way you like, but the traditional way is sunny side up.
NOTE: If you liked this video, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. Remember to click the little ‘bell’ icon so you’ll never miss a new video! Thank you!
The Ingredients You Will Need
There are just a handful of components to this dish, but they all work together to make the most satisfying egg-centric flavor profile.
Here’s What You Need to Grab
Ranchero Sauce – Homemade is by far the best, and so easy! (click the link for the easy recipe)
Refried beans – Homemade is best, but purchased will work!
Oil – Canola for both the eggs and the tortillas
Tortillas – Corn, yellow or white
Eggs – Two per serving
Salt and pepper – to taste
Cheese – Cotija is great, crumbly Mexican cheese
Cilantro – fresh, for garnish
EXPERT TIP: Start by preparing the ranchero sauce. It comes together very quickly. While it is simmering on the stove, prepare the eggs and tortillas. If you’ve made the sauce in advance, simply reheat it over medium-low heat until bubbly and warm.
Tips for Perfect Huevos Rancheros
Cook the Sauce Down – Be sure to allow the ranchero sauce to reduce for at least 15 minutes on the stove over medium heat. This not only concentrates the flavors, but it also will give you the perfect consistency for pouring over the dish. It should be close to the consistency of warm oatmeal or applesauce.
Don’t Over-Fry the Tortillas – The corn tortillas should be somewhat crisp, but not crispy like a crispy taco shell. Get the oil in your skillet nice and hot, and then lightly fry each tortilla for about 1 minute on one side and then 45 seconds on the other. There will be light brown spots and the tortilla will still be pliable.
Keep Everything Warm – If you are serving more than two people, you’ll want to keep all the components warm in a low-temp oven while you continue to cook the eggs and prepare the tortillas. Place cooked eggs on a baking sheet and place in the oven that is preheated to 200°F.
For the tortillas, we recommend yellow corn.
We like using our non-stick skillet with about 2 tbsp of hot canola oil to lightly fry the tortillas.
If you’re really feeling adventurous, make your own homemade corn tortillas!
How to Serve
Each serving should include two tortillas, beans, two eggs, and plenty of ranchero sauce. Topped with crumbled Mexican cheese and fresh cilantro.
It’s really the perfect amount of food for each serving.
However, if you’re really wanting to impress, then go ahead and make a batch of breakfast potatoes and freshly squeezed orange juice (and Champagne for mimosas!).
Other Classic Brunch Dishes to Try
Brunch isn’t just a meal, it’s meant to be a celebration all starting with delicious food. Here are some of our all-time favorite brunch dishes:
Classic Eggs Benedict
Stuffed Savory Crêpes
Eggs Blackstone with Sausage
Italian Skillet Scramble
Best-Ever Breakfast Sandwich
In the meantime, aren’t you craving a plate of this deliciousness?
If you love brunch, if you love Mexican food, and if you love a taste sensation, then you’ve got to make this.
This is truly one of our all-time favorite dishes to order at our favorite brunch places, but making it from scratch at home is just something special.
You can easily control the amount of heat in the ranchero sauce. Serve this to guests and you will be thrilled with the response. It’s really that good.
Ready to make the best brunch/breakfast dish this side of Sante Fe, New Mexico? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a photo of the dish, post it on Instagram, tag @HowToFeedaLoon, and hashtag #HowToFeedaLoon!
- 2 cups Ranchero Sauce
- 3 cups Refried beans
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 8 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup Cotija cheese crumbled, or Feta cheese
- ¼ cup Cilantro fresh, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Heat the ranchero sauce and refried beans over medium-low heat on the stove.2 cups Ranchero Sauce, 3 cups Refried beans
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over high heat, until the oil is shimmering.4 tbsp canola oil
- One at a time, fry the tortillas just until they begin to crisp, about 60 seconds on one side. Flip and fry for another 45 seconds. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. Cover, and keep warm on a baking sheet in the oven.8 corn tortillas
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Crack 4 of the eggs into the skillet.8 large eggs
- Season with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the yolks are just set, about 2 to 3 minutes for sunny-side-up eggs. Place the eggs on a baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining eggs.Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place two tortillas on each plate, slightly overlapping. Spread about ¼ cup of beans over each tortilla. Use a spatula to carefully top each bean-covered tortilla with a cooked egg. Spoon the warm ranchero sauce over the eggs. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and chopped cilantro. Serve at once.½ cup Cotija cheese, ¼ cup Cilantro
POST UPDATE: This recipe was originally published in March 2018, but was updated with improved tweaks to the recipe with new tips and photography and a fabulous new video in January 2023!
I just made this for breakfast! Of course breakfast was really brunch! Excited to have a new ranchero sauce recipe this was delicious
Hey Kat! AWESOME!! Brunch is the BEST!! So so so glad you enjoyed the rancheros recipe and sounds like you had an amazing meal! Thank you SO MUCH for letting us know!! Stay in touch! All the best, Kris & Wesley
The heuvos rancheros just sound so good, I want to leave the office now and go home to eat!
Hi Per! Oh, they are good! Eggs with a kick. Can’t get much better than that!!
Been wanting heuvos rancheros and decided to make them over the weekend for brunch with the fam. They were soooooo good. Thanks for the incredibly easy recipe. YUM!
Awesome!! We LOVE heuovos rancheros, so much, too. And the ranchero sauce is a favorite, too. So glad you made it and it turned out good! Woo hoo!