Don’t feel like soaking beans overnight, then cooking, and re-frying? Well, here’s a super easy solution: Easy Gourmet Refried Beans! And trust me, both the Loon and I think these are about as good as you’ll get in any restaurant. Yum!
Easy Gourmet Refried Beans
- 3 thick slices applewood-smoked bacon coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 can good-qaulity refried pinto beans
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- Heat a large skillet (or Dutch oven) over medium-high heat, and add the bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp and golden, about 6 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels, leaving the rendered bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the onion, jalapeno, and garlic to the rendered grease in the pan and reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin.
- Add the beans to the skillet. Mix completely.
- Add the stock. Mix completely.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Add in the bacon.
Season with salt (a couple pinches). Serve at once.