Ricotta Lemon Pancakes with Vanilla Sauce are incredible!
Light, fluffy, and amazing flavor!
The Loon took one bite and yelled out: “Are you kidding me?”
RICOTTA LEMON PANCAKES WITH LEMON SAUCE IS HEAVENLY
The batter is incredibly light and airy, which counters the ricotta lemon sauce perfectly.
A hand mixer makes getting the batter to the perfect consistency a snap.
These ricotta lemon pancakes are the perfect breakfast for a special occasion (or, just any ‘breakfast, for that matter!)
The ricotta and vanilla filling is truly something special.
The lemon zest and hint of nutmeg compliment each other perfectly.
And the ricotta cheese is so creamy and just divine in the Ricotta Lemon Pancake with Vanilla Sauce!
PANCAKES ARE POPULAR WORLDWIDE
We are just crazy about all kinds of pancakes. Did you know evidence suggests that pancakes were developed and eaten by our ancestors dating back to the Stone Age? Read more about the Long, Surprising History of Pancakes by National Geographic!
Speaking of pancakes full of history: Take a look at Wesley’s favorite pancake (being that he is or Norwegian descent): Norwegian Pancakes!
These Ricotta Lemon Pancakes cook perfectly in a skillet with a dash of oil. Pancake perfection.
RICOTTA LEMON PANCAKES CAN EASILY BE MADE AHEAD
They are truly magical. And what’s great is that you can easily make the pancakes the day before you serve them. Just wrap them in foil. Then, before serving, heat your oven to 375F, then place the pancakes on a greased baking sheet and heat for 5 minutes.
Talk about a crowd-pleasing breakfast or brunch dish. Wow!
This is without a doubt, one of our most popular breakfast recipes on the blog, and when you make them for your loved ones, you’ll understand why!
Ricotta Lemon Pancakes with Vanilla Sauce
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached-all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
RICOTTA VANILLA SAUCE
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter optional
- 1 cup maple syrup, warmed optional
- 1 cup mixed berries optional
MAKE THE PANCAKES
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, buttermilk, sugar, and ricotta cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, lemon zest, nutmeg and salt.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg whites (I use an electric hand mixer), beat the egg whites until stiff peaks start to form.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the buttermilk mixture with a few quick strokes. A few lumps remaining are okay.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour in a little oil into a medium sized non-stick skillet...or griddle.
- Once hot, drop about 1/4 cup of the batter on the skillet/griddle.
- Bubbles should rise...cook for about 1 & 1/2 minutes and then flip.
- Cook for about another minute on the 2nd side. Pancakes should be light golden brown.
- Remove...place each cooked pancake on a cookie rack on a baking sheet and keep warm in a 220 F oven.
MAKE THE SAUCE
- Mix all of the ingredients until smooth in a small mixing bowl. For super smooth sauce, blend in a blender or food processor. Refrigerate until needed. Thin with 1 tablespoon of milk if the sauce is too thick.
- Place one pancake on a plate, then add a layer of the sauce. Repeat.
- Top with slice of butter and warm maple syrup (optional)
- Serve with fresh berries (optional)