Um…look at these babies…That picture is worth a more than a thousand words. And so are these Buttermilk Waffles with Blueberry Syrup. This is breakfast/brunch at its very best. These are classic waffles and are cooked to perfection, and then the lush Blueberry Syrup is heavenly. The Loon literally flipped when he took his first bite of these. And…these come together in just minutes. Doesn’t get much better than that!
Buckwheat Waffles with Blueberry Syrup
FOR THE BLUEBERRY SYRUP
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
FOR THE WAFFLES
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon1 yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil plus more for your griddle, if needed
MAKE THE BLUEBERRY SYRUP
- Put all ingredients in a small saucepan set over medium heat.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to maintain a strong simmer to allow the mixture to thicken slightly, about 5 minutes.
MAKE THE WAFFLES
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, malted milk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg yolks, vanilla extract and oil and whisk to combine.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and whisk until combined, the batter will be quite lumpy.
- In a small bowl, using a clean whisk or a handheld mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Scoop the whites onto the batter and, using the whisk, gently fold them in.
- Pre-heat your waffle make and follow manufacturer instructions for cooking waffles.
- Serve at once with heated syrup.