Um…look at these babies…That picture is worth more than a thousand words.
And so are these Buttermilk Waffles with Blueberry Syrup. This is breakfast/brunch at its very best. These are classic waffles and are cooked to perfection, and then the lush Blueberry Syrup is heavenly. The Loon literally flipped when he took his first bite of these. And…these come together in just minutes. It doesn’t get much better than that!
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERMILK WAFFLES WITH BLUEBERRY SYRUP
These waffles are really not difficult to make from scratch, which is really good thing.
Mix together the dry ingredients and then simply mix the buttermilk mixture.
EXPERT TIP: Stir until just combined. Over-mixing will cause the waffle to not be airy and light. A few lumps in the batter are just fine, too.
THE BLUEBERRY SAUCE PUTS IT OVER THE TOP
Blueberries are loaded with flavor and nutrients. They are even considered a ‘super’ food.
And who are we to disagree with that statement?
And they make the absolutely perfect topping for these amazing Buttermilk Waffles!
We also love adding some orange zest to the blueberry sauce.
It brightens the flavor profile is just so delicious.
By the way, looking for an amazing pancakes recipe? Try our incredible Ricotta Lemon Pancakes with Vanilla Sauce.
COOKING THE WAFFLES TO PERFECTION
Pour the batter into your waffle maker and let cook until nicely browned.
Cooking time varies depending on your waffle maker.
Ready to make the best waffles in town? Go for it!
And remember, when you make them, be sure to take a picture, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon
Buttermilk Waffles with Blueberry Syrup
FOR THE BLUEBERRY SYRUP
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1½ cups blueberries fresh
- Pinch Kosher salt
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
FOR THE WAFFLES
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 2½ cups buttermilk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 3 large eggs each separated (yolks from whites)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil plus more for your griddle, if needed
MAKE THE BLUEBERRY SYRUP
- Put all ingredients in a small saucepan set over medium heat.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to maintain a strong simmer to allow the mixture to thicken slightly, about 5 minutes.
MAKE THE WAFFLES
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, malted milk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg yolks, vanilla extract and oil and whisk to combine.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and whisk until combined, the batter will be quite lumpy.
- In a small bowl, using a clean whisk or a handheld mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Scoop the whites onto the batter and, using the whisk, gently fold them in.
- Pre-heat your waffle maker and follow manufacturer instructions for cooking waffles.
- Serve at once with heated syrup.