This fantastic focaccia with rosemary and olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt is pure perfection. Serve this before your main feast, and folks will once again flip. If you can, bake on a baking stone to get a super crisp outside and moist inside with lots of airy holes to soak up your favorite dipping olive oil. Oh wow, this is with out a doubt, one of our favorites. Focaccia Forever!
Fantastic Focaccia with Rosemary and Olive Oil
- 2 cups of tap water room temp
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 cups of bread flour
- 3 teaspoons of Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary chopped
- Whisk the water and yeast together in the bowl of your electric mixer.
- Wait 30 seconds and then whisk again, whisking in 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Use a large rubber spatula to stir in the flour, about 1 cup at a time.
- Place the bowl on the mixer with the dough hook and mix on the lowest speed for 2 minutes - the dough will be nice and soft.
- Stop the mixer and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Start the mixer again on medium speed, and sprinkle in 2 teaspoons of the salt.
- Mix until the dough is nice and smooth, about 2 more minutes.
- Leave the dough in the mixer bowl and cover it with a dish towel.
- Let the dough ferment until it doubles in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to either you cooking stone, or the pan you'll be cooking the loaf in. Coat it well.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, letting if fall onto the pan without folding it over.
- Oil your hands and, pressing with your fingertips to spread across the stone or the pan.
- Dimple the dough with your fingers.
- Cover the dough with oiled, or sprayed plastic wrap and let it proof until it doubles in bulk, about 40 minutes.
- When the dough is almost proofed, preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Uncover the dough.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and the chopped rosemary to the top of the dough.
- Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil on top of the dough.
- Bake until well risen and browned for about 30 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from oven and place on rack to cool.
- Cut into 3-inch squares.
- Serve warm or at room temp with your favorite olive oil!