French Onion Soup
This is comfort at its best. You just can't do better than French Onion Soup...with homemade beef stock and Gruyere cheese...oh yes.
Author: Kris Longwell
Recipe type: Soup
- 8 ounces of unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 6 medium yellow onions, sliced
- ½ cup of dry white wine
- 8 cups of homemade beef stock
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt
- 6 toasted slices of bread
- 2 cups of shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leave
- ½ cup of fried onions (you can use French's)
- Melt butter in large pot
- Add onion
- Stir frequently (about every 5 to 10 minutes) for about 1 hour to 1 hour and fifteen minutes, the onions will turn a dark brown color.
- Add the wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add stock, thyme and salt...simmer for about 15 minutes
- Turn on the broiler
- Ladle the soup into bowls
- Add a toasted piece of bread, and then place a handful of grated Gruyere cheese over the top
- Place in broiler...and cook for about 8 minutes, until cheese is golden on top.
- Remove from oven...top with thyme.
- Serve immediately