This Sweet Potato Bundt Cake with Brown Sugar Icing recipe has quickly become a Loon favorite. The thread of sweet potatoes, along with the swirls of pumpkin cinnamon spice, matched with the brown sugar icing just can’t be beat.
The ingredients in this cake all come together to make a wonderful autumnal dessert that you and your loved ones will just cherish. This has become a repeat favorite in our house. Perfect for when fall arrives, and of course, the holidays, or just anytime you’re in the mood for a delicious bundt cake. The Loon just loves saying, “Give me some bundt cake!“
And did I mention the brown sugar icing? Oh, man…it’s just so perfect. The Loon says it almost has a maple flavor to it, and I agree. It’s the perfect topping to this flavorful cake.
Trust us when we tell you this Sweet Potato Bundt Cake with Brown Sugar Icing is the perfect fall dessert. And you’re going to love the way your home smells as this bakes in the oven. Amazing!
Need a bundt pan? This is the one I use and love it!
Here is another amazing baked bread that is perfect in the fall. Pumpkin and Butterscotch Bread.
Now, let’s make this Sweet Potato Bundt Cake with Brown Sugar Icing recipe!
Sweet Potato Bundt Cake with Brown Sugar Icing
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese room temp
- 1 1/3 cups sugar divided
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups peeled grated sweet potato A box grater works perfectly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice* divided
- FOR THE ICING:
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans for garnish on top
- *If you can't find pumpkin pie spice you can make your own by combining 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 3/4 teaspoon all-spice, and 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Save what you don't use for future use.
MAKE THE CAKE:
Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
Spray a bundt pan with baking spray and dust with flour. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
Mix in the sugar and brown sugar until incorporated, about another 3 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add sweet potato and vanilla, beating until combined.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
Gradually add flour mixture to sweet potato mixture, beating at low speed just until combined.
In a small bowl, stir together remaining 1/3 cup sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and remaining 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice.
Spoon 1/3 of the batter into prepared pan (batter will be thick and a little sticky), spreading evenly.
Sprinkle half of the sugar-spice mixture over batter.
Repeat process once and then top with remaining batter.
Tap pan a few times to release air bubbles.
Bake until an inserted wooden toothpick near center comes out clean, approximately 50 minutes.
Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
Carefully remove cake from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
MAKE THE GLAZE:
In a small saucepan, bring brown sugar, 2 tablespoons cream, butter, and corn syrup to a simmer over medium heat.
Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
Pour into a medium bowl and let cool slightly.
Whisk in confectioners' sugar, salt and remaining 1 tablespoon cream until smooth.
Drizzle icing over cake and garnish with pecans.