These Chinese Pot Stickers are probably the Loon’s favorite Chinese appetizer. They have a pork, mushroom and cabbage filling with other classic Chinese seasonings. They are really yummy, and will transport you to your favorite Chinese restaurant. Enjoy! Find the dumpling dough at your local Asian market…they make all the difference, and are incredible. 130% Loon Approved!
Pork Pot Stickers
- 1/4 cup dried shiitake mushrooms*
- 2 cups finely chopped napa cabbage*
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 1/4 cup fresh garlic chives minced**
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Chinese rice wine or sake wine**
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 45 thin round wonton wrappers*
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce for dipping!
- *can be found in the Asian section of your super market or at an Asian food market
- ** can be found at an Asian food market
- Soak the dried mushrooms in warm water to cover for 30 minutes. Drain, remove the stems, and mince the caps.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together the cabbage and 1/2 teaspoon salt and let stand for 30 minutes to leach out water from the cabbage.
- Using your hands, wring out as much of the water from the cabbage as possible.
- Discard the water and place the cabbage in a clean bowl.
- Add the mushrooms, pork, garlic chives, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine, ginger, garlic, cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and, using a wooden spoon, mix vigorously to combine the ingredients well.
- To fill each pot sticker, place a wonton wrapper on a work surface and brush the edges with water and keep the other wrappers covered with a slightly damp kitchen towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Place 1 teaspoon filling in the center of the wrapper, fold the wrapper in half to enclose the filing, and pleat the outer edge with your thumb and index finger (see photo).
- Place the finished pot sticker on a lightly floured baking sheet and repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers.
- Place an ovenproof platter in the oven and pre-heat to 250 F.
- In a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil.
- Add 10 - 12 pot stickers, flat bottom down and in a single layer.
- Sear until golden brown on the bottom, 3 - 4 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the stock into the pan, cover, and let steam until all the broth evaporates, the pot stickers are tender, but still firm, and the filling is cooked through, 4 - 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the platter in the oven and cover with aluminum foil.
- Cook the remaining pot stickers and stock in 3 more batches.
- Serve pot stickers hot, and accompanied with the Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce.