Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup has got to be one of the most comforting soups of all time.
There’s a reason mom’s and grandma’s have been preparing this for their kids when they’re feeling under the weather…it just makes you feel better! The key here is the stock. I make a nice big batch of stock the day before I’m ready to put together the soup.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
Chicken Noodle Soup has it’s place in the culinary hall of fame and history, no doubt.
As mentioned, homemade chicken soup is really only as good as the stock, or broth.
The stock can easily be made well in advance. We do this all the time and freeze until ready to use.
Simmer the vegetables with chicken pieces for several hours.
HOW TO REMOVE THE EXCESS FAT FROM STOCK
While the stock is simmering, you will see impurities that will float to the top. They will look kind of foamy. Remove them with a spoon or small sieve.
After the stock has cooked for several hours and you have strained it into a container, place in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours, or overnight. Shred and save the chicken for the soup.
The next day, you will see that a layer of fat has congealed on the surface. Simply use a spoon to scrape it and discard. You’re getting real close to having homemade chicken noodle soup!
FINISHING OFF THE HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
Now you are ready to bring all home. Simply sauté the vegetable in a little oil, or butter, until softened.
Bring the chicken stock back to a simmer, and now you add in the sautéed veggies, the cooked chicken, and the remaining ingredients (except for the pasta).
In the final 30 minutes, add the dried pasta noodles and continue simmering until they are soft.
THE PERFECT SOUP
We just love everything about this wonderful soup.
But, in a pinch, you can easily cook a 3½ lb cut up chicken in water for about 30 minutes – then you’ve got a decent chicken broth, and your cooked chicken.
But I say…go the distance and make the stock.
This one is a keeper, for sure.
Classic Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 16 cups homemade chicken stock
- 3 to 4 cups cooked chicken cubed (Rotisserie works just fine)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup carrot sliced
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon about 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 8 oz dried wide egg noodles
- Heat the stock in a large pot over medium heat.
- In a separate skillet, heat the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and thyme and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken and the cooked vegetables to the stock.
- Add the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and a 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and parsley.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the egg noodles and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.