I love pad Thai with shrimp, but I thought I’d start with the classic: Classic Chicken Pad Thai. Find your closest Asian market, and pick up some of these seemingly hard-to-find ingredients. You will love the cross-cultural experience..and you will LOVE the flavors they bring. Come on…give it a try..
Classic Chicken Pad Thai
- 1 chicken breast chopped into to small bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 8 oz rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons stir-fry wok oil*
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups fresh bean sprouts*
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup dried coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped in a grinder, or food prosecutor, or a big ole' hatchet.
- 1 lime - halved for garish.
FOR THE PAD THAI SAUCE
- Pad Thai Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste*
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce*
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar* or brown sugar
- *found in the Asian section of your best-in-class market, or an Asian market
- Slice the chicken into small pieces and put in a bowl.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the soy sauce and pour over the chicken. Stir well. Set aside.
- To make the Pad Thai sauce, dissolve the tamarind paste in the hot water, then add all other sauce ingredients, stirring to combine and dissolve the sugar.
- Separately, soak the noodles in a pot of pre-boiled water until they are nice and soft.
- Drain the noodles, and then rinse with cold water.
- Heat your wok over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoon of oil plus the garlic. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add the marinated chicken and chicken stock and stir-fry for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the rice noodles to the wok. plus the Pad Thai sauce.
- Using a couple of utensils, or a nice pair of tongs, quickly stir-fry the noodles using a tossing motion (like tossing a salad).
- Stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Mix in the bean sprouts and white pepper,
- Continue stir-frying for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with the chopped peanuts, sliced green onions, coriander, chopped cilantro. Mix these in, and leave some for garnish on top.
- Serve with sliced lime.