The Loon and I absolutely love Thai cuisine, and this is one of our favorite dishes.
Of course, Thai food has some heat to it, but it’s the kind of heat that is just so satisfying. Making the green curry paste from scratch is what puts this dish over the top. Most ingredients can be found nowadays in the Asian section of most well-stocked supermarkets.
HOW TO MAKE THAI GREEN CURRY CHICKEN
This recipe truly is not difficult to prepare and the taste is authentic and so satisfying.
Start by preparing the green curry paste in your food processor or blender.
EXPERT TIP: The green curry paste can be made up to 1 day in advance and stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
As mentioned, most of the ingredients can be found in the Asian section of your local market.
We also love heading to our favorite Asian food market to pick up any of the items, too.
Of course, they easily can be found online, too.
ZUCCHINI AND COCONUT MILK TAME THE SPICE
Thai Green Curry Chicken naturally has some heat to it, which is good.
The addition of zucchini is the perfect match for the heat from the curry paste.
We love zucchini
Now, it’s time to pour in the coconut milk into the curry paste. We finish the dish off in our wok.
You can almost taste the deepness of the classic Thai taste at this point.
Another amazing dish is our Thai Beef with Red Curry. It is over-the-top delicious!
Ready to stir up a little heat with this amazing Thai dish? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a picture, post it to Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
Thai Green Curry Chicken
- Wok, or large sturdy skillet
- 1 can coconut milk unsweetened, divided
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ lbs chicken thighs boneless and skinless, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini cut into thick chunks
- 8 kaffir lime leaves cut into thin strips
- ½ cup basil fresh, roughly chopped
FOR THE GREEN CURRY PASTE
- 4 green chilies such as Serrano, or Thai Green, or Jalapeno
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh, minced
- 1 lemongrass fresh, chopped
- 1½ tsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp white pepper ground
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp fish sauce plus more, to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
FOR THE THAI JASMINE RICE
- 1 cup Thai Jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Place all green curry paste ingredients in a food processor plus 3 tablespoons of the coconut milk (leave the rest in the can, you'll use it in a moment)
- Process until fragrant and smooth. Set aside.
- Warm a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Swirl the heated oil around.
- Add all of the green curry paste and stir-fry briefly to release the fragrance, about 1 minute.
- Add about ¾ of the remaining coconut milk, leaving the rest for later.
- Stir-fry together with the paste, blending the two.
- Add the chicken, stirring to incorporate. When the curry sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Let simmer for about 8 minutes, until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the zucchini and the strips of lime leaves, stirring well to incorporate.
- Simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and taste test...you want a nice balance of salty, spicy, sweet and sour. Adjust flavors with fish sauce, or sugar...if too sweet, add a tablespoon of lime juice.
- Portion out into individual serving bowls, topping each one with a generous sprinkling of the basil.
- Finally, drizzle over 2-3 tablespoons (per bowl) of the reserved coconut milk.
- Serve with jasmine rice
THAI JASMINE RICE
- Rinse rice.
- Combine the rice and water in a pot, add the butter and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 18 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, fluff with fork and serve.