The Loon and I absolutely love Thai cuisine, and this is one of our favorite dishes. Of course, Thai food has some heat to it, but it’s the kind of heat that is just so satisfying. Making the green curry paste from scratch is what puts this dish over the top. Most ingredients can be found now days in ‘foodie’ markets like Whole Foods, or Central Market, in the Asian section. If not, seek out your local Asian market. I love going to Asian markets…such an incredible array of spices, and pastes, and vegetables…and proteins of everything you could imagine (and then some). This Thai Green Curry Chicken is not hard to make, and absolutely incredible to eat. Serve with Thai Jasmine Rice, and you’ll flip over the results. Loon Approved!!
Thai Green Curry Chicken
- 1 can good-quality coconut milk divided
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs chopped
- 1 zucchini cut into thick chunks
- 8 kaffir lime leaves cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
FOR THE GREEN CURRY PASTE
- 4 green chilies such as Serrano, or Thai Green, or Jalapeno
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp grated galangal OR pickled ginger OR minced ginger
- 1 stalk minced lemongrass or 2 tablespoons of pickled lemongrass, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp shrimp paste optional
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp fish sauce plus more to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
FOR THE THAI JASMINE RICE
- 1 cup Thai Jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Place all green curry paste ingredients in a food processor plus 3 tablespoon of the coconut milk (leave the rest in the can, you'll use it in a moment)
- Process until fragrant and smooth. Set aside.
- Warm a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Swirl the heated oil around.
- Add all of the green curry paste and stir-fry briefly to release the fragrance, about 1 minute.
- Add about 3/4 of the remaining coconut milk, leaving the rest for later.
- Stir-fry together with the paste, blending the two.
- Add the chicken, stirring to incorporate. When the curry sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Let simmer for about 8 minutes, until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the zucchini and the strips of lime leaf, stirring well to incorporate.
- Simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and taste test...you want a nice balance of salty, spicy, sweet and sour. Adjust flavors with fish sauce, or sugar...if too sweet, add a tablespoon of lime juice.
- Portion out into individual serving bowls, topping each one with a generous sprinkling of the basil.
- Finally, drizzle over 2-3 tablespoons (per bowl) of the reserved coconut milk.
- Serve with jasmine rice
- THAI JASMINE RICE:
- Rinse rice.
- Combine the rice and water in a pot, add the butter and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 18 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, fluff with fork and serve.