I can’t even begin to describe how amazing this dish is. This recipe comes from Tim Love, from his beloved restaurant Woodshed Smokehouse in Forth Worth, Texas. Amazing, amazing, amazing. The homemade kimchi give these succulent beef tacos an incredible taste sensation. Incredible!
Korean Beef Tacos with Kimchi
FOR THE KOREAN BEEF
- 2 lbs beef tenderloin trimmed, and sliced into very thin pieces
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne power
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds toasted, if desired
- 1 tbsp chili pepper
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
FOR THE KIMCHI
- 1 head Napa cabbage coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- 2 quarts water
- 3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp minced ginger
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp good quality chili powder
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
START THE BEEF
- Place the meat in a medium-sized bowl, and add all the ingredients except for the peanut oil.
- Let marinate in the fridge for 24 hours.
MAKE THE KIMCHI
- Cut off the base of the cabbage and coarsely chop the remaining leaves.
- Place the cabbage in a large bowl.
- Dissolve the salt in water and pour the solution over the cabbage.
- Make sure the cabbage is completely submerged and let soak for at least 1 hour.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl to make the kimchi sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the cabbage.
- Transfer the contents of the bowl to a leak-proof bag and place in boiling water for about 30 minutes.(a heavy duty freezer bag works, just don't let it lay on the side of the hot pan).
- Remove and cool completely.
PREPARE THE KOREAN BEEF
- Heat the peanut oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the marinate beef to the pan and cook until medium rare (about 4 minutes), or to medium (about 6 or 7 minutes)
ASSEMBLE THE TACOS
- Heat tortillas over a medium flame.
- Add beef and kimchi.
- Garnish with sliced lime.