This truly may be the greatest “Winner Winner Chicken Dinner” of them all! It’s really that delicious!
We just can’t rave about this dish enough. The chicken is tender and the sauce is bursting with incredibly delicious Italian flavors. We love to serve it with Cheesy Garlic Bread and a Caesar Salad. Easy enough for a quick weeknight meal, but impressive enough for a wonderful dinner party. And it comes together in about 30 to 40 minutes!
How To Make Creamy Tuscan Chicken
This dish is great for so many reasons, with the best one being its incredible taste.
But, it’s also easy to prepare and reheats the next day and is honestly as good as it was the night before (maybe even better!).
NOTE: If you liked this video, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. Remember to click the little ‘bell’ icon so you’ll never miss a new video! Thank you!
The Ingredients You Will Need
The ingredients for this dish are very pantry-friendly, but also can easily be adapted to your and your family’s tastes.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
Chicken Breasts – Boneless and skinless
Seasonings – Salt, pepper, oregano, and basil (or Italian seasoning)
Olive oil – Regular or extra-virgin
Pancetta – Cubed, or chopped bacon
Mushrooms – We love baby bella, but any type will do
Garlic – Minced
Sun-dried tomatoes – Minced, drained if in oil
Red pepper flakes – For a little zip
Heavy cream – Can substitute half and half
Smoked paprika flavor – Adds depth of flavor
Spinach – Washed and stemmed
Parmesan cheese – Grated
Cooked pasta – For serving
EXPERT TIP: Nowadays, it’s hard to find chicken breasts that aren’t gigantic. To ensure the juiciest cutlets, that will cook through perfectly, simply slice each breast in half, lengthwise. Season and sear off in a skillet with the oil.
Tips for Perfect Creamy Tuscan Chicken
Don’t Overcook the Chicken – If you slice the breasts in half, they won’t take long to cook. Searing them on each side in hot oil in a medium-hot skillet for about 4 minutes per side should cook them perfectly. They will cook a little more when they simmer in the sauce. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure an internal temperature of 165°F.
Adjust to Your Tastes – This recipe is very adaptable. If you choose bone-in chicken, you’ll need to simmer the chicken longer in the sauce, about 30 minutes after searing. Feel free to omit the mushrooms, if desired. Chopped fresh tomatoes or diced canned tomatoes can replace sun-dried. Baby spinach can be substituted for fresh spinach, or even thawed and drained frozen spinach. Garlic powder (1 tsp) can replace the fresh. Bacon can be substituted for the pancetta.
Serve Piping Hot – This dish reheats beautifully, but you’ll want to serve it nice and hot right from the stove. The sauce will thicken somewhat after being removed from the heat.
EXPERT TIP: We recommend using fresh spinach rather than baby spinach. Baby spinach is great for salads and mature spinach is better for cooking. Just be sure to rinse the leaves before removing the stems. That being said, as mentioned before, baby spinach will still work just fine. As the spinach cooks, it will wilt and cook down significantly.
How To Serve
This dish is wonderful when served by itself with bread and a leafy green salad. However, it’s spectacular served over cooked pasta, such as linguine, spaghetti, penne, rigatoni, or whatever you have on hand.
We’ve served this over perfectly steamed rice, too, and absolutely loved it.
You can slice the cooked chicken into strips for serving, or you can leave the cutlets whole. Be sure to have extra grated Parmesan cheese to pass at the table.
EXPERT TIP: Be sure to spoon the creamy sauce all over the chicken during the final simmering step. The sauce will adhere to the chicken and add even more flavor.
Other Amazing Chicken Recipes to Try
Chicken is universally loved by so many. It’s approachable, kid-friendly, and with the right recipe, always so yummy. Here are some of our favorites:
White Chicken Lasagna with Spinach
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
Sheet Pan Greek Chicken
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Chicken and Sage Casserole
These are great, and you should try them, for sure. But in the meantime, aren’t you craving this incredible dish?
Creamy Tuscan Chicken is wonderful on so many levels.
It’s not difficult to prepare, is adaptable to you and your family’s tastes, and leftovers are nothing short of amazing!
It’s honestly so beautiful and so tasty, it’s really an ideal dish to serve to guests, too. Perfect in every way!
Ready to make the best chicken dinner this side of Tuscany? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a photo of it, post it on Instagram, and tag @HowToFeedaLoon and hashtag #HowToFeedaLoon!
Best Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- 1 Large skillet
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half, lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp oregano dried
- 1 tbsp basil dried
- 1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 oz pancetta cubed, or 2 strips of bacon
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups spinach fresh, washed and stems removed
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- cooked pasta or steamed rice optional, for serving over
- Season the chicken all over with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.2 large chicken breasts, Salt and pepper, 1 tbsp oregano, 1 tbsp basil
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken and sear for 4 minutes. Flip and sear the other side for another 4 minutes. Pierce the cutlets with a knife, if juices run clear, set aside, if pink, then sear for another couple of minutes. Remove cutlets from the pan onto a plate.1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the pancetta to the pan and cook, stirring often, until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.2 oz pancetta
- To the same pan, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened and release their juices, about 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and the red pepper flakes. Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring often.8 oz baby bella mushrooms, 3 cloves garlic, ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Stir in the cream and bring to a gentle simmer.1½ cups heavy cream
- Stir in the cooked pancetta, paprika, ¾ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes.1 tsp smoked paprika
- Add spinach and simmer until wilted. Nestle in the seared chicken and cook for another few minutes, spooning the sauce over the chicken occasionally.2 cups spinach
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Serve at once over cooked pasta, or steamed rice, if desired. Pass extra Parmesan cheese at the table.cooked pasta or steamed rice