Pan-Seared Pork Chops with Cajun Rice are a house favorite and easy to whip up on a busy week night. Of course, they’re good anytime of the week. Cooking the rice in the microwave is super fast and super easy. I know it seems like cheating, but hey, it works…and it’s really just as good. The chorizo sausage gives the rice an additional kick, a nice balance to the sweetness in the red pepper. Yum!
Pan-Seared Pork Chops with Cajun Rice
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup long-grain white rice rinsed
- 2 to 4 bone-in pork rib chops 1-inch thick, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 oz chorizo sausage usually 1 link, casing removed and roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme minced
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 3 scallions sliced
- Combine 1 1/4 cups of the stock and rice in a microwave-safe bowl, cover, and cook in microwave for about 15 minutes (rice will not be completely finished...don't worry...it will absorb more liquid and be ready when finishing off the dish). Fluff with fork.
- Meanwhile, pat chops dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Carefully place chops in skillet and cook until well browned on one side, 4 to 6 minutes (if using 4 chops, this may need to be done in 2 batches).
- Transfer chops to a plate and tent with foil.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from skillet and return to medium heat.
- Add chorizo, onion, and bell pepper and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, thyme, and Cajun spice and cook until fragrant, about 30 more seconds.
- Stir in rice and remaining 1 1/4 cups of stock, scraping up any browned bits.
- Nestle chops into rice, browned side up, and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for about another 8 minutes,until rice is fully absorbed and soft.
- Transfer chops to plate, browned side up. Tent again with foil. Let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Gently fold the scallions into the rice, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with chops.