Pan-Seared Pork Chops with Cajun Rice are the perfect weeknight meal.
So easy to make and always a family favorite. We love to make ours in our trusty cast iron skillet. With making the rice in the microwave, the dish comes together in about 30 minutes!
PAN-SEARED PORK CHOPS WITH CAJUN RICE ARE EASY TO MAKE
You just can’t believe how quickly this incredible delicious comes together. Of course, it all starts with the chop. But there’s a lot to consider when choosing the best pork chop.
We love going with a bone-in rib pork chop. This particular chop comes from the center of the pork loin. It’s very tender and includes a T-shaped rib bone that has been stripped and cleaned (frenched) so that it is visible from one end.
EXPERT TIP: This cut is all loin meat, and may contain a layer of fat running along the side. The rib chop, when cooked, is incredibly tender and lean and has a mild pork flavor.
HOW TO QUICKLY COOK THE RICE
We’re making things easy on you, folks!
Start the cooking of the rice in micro-wave safe bowl with some chicken stock.
It won’t quite be ready at this point, but don’t worry, it reaches the perfect consistency when the dish finishes off in the oven.
FLAVOR THE RICE WITH CHORIZO AND CAJUN SEASONINGS
Chorizo is a very flavorful sausage that works beautifully with sautéed bell peppers and white onion.
The addition of Cajun seasoning adds a depth of flavor that just can’t be beat.
Pan-Seared Pork Chops with Cajun Rice are a house favorite and easy to whip up on a busy week night.
So delicious and one of our favorite one-pot dishes!
Pan-Seared Pork Chops with Cajun Rice
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup long-grain white rice rinsed
- 2 to 4 bone-in pork rib chops 1-inch thick, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 oz chorizo sausage usually 1 link, casing removed and roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme minced
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 3 scallions sliced
- Combine 1 1/4 cups of the stock and rice in a microwave-safe bowl, cover, and cook in microwave for about 15 minutes (rice will not be completely finished...don't worry...it will absorb more liquid and be ready when finishing off the dish). Fluff with fork.
- Meanwhile, pat chops dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Carefully place chops in skillet and cook until well browned on one side, 4 to 6 minutes (if using 4 chops, this may need to be done in 2 batches).
- Transfer chops to a plate and tent with foil.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from skillet and return to medium heat.
- Add chorizo, onion, and bell pepper and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, thyme, and Cajun spice and cook until fragrant, about 30 more seconds.
- Stir in rice and remaining 1 1/4 cups of stock, scraping up any browned bits.
- Nestle chops into rice, browned side up, and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for about another 8 minutes,until rice is fully absorbed and soft.
- Transfer chops to plate, browned side up. Tent again with foil. Let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Gently fold the scallions into the rice, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with chops.