It may not be true that bigger is always better, but when it comes to homemade muffins, it is definitely the way to go!
These muffins have a lightness to them, and yet, by the same token, they also feel dense and super moist. Starting with a top-notch lemon-infused olive is essential, and everything else comes together in a snap. We’re giving you a foolproof jumbo muffin to treasure. We promise!
How To Make Lemon and Blueberry Jumbo Muffins
It took us some time to get this recipe just right. We were inspired by the rows and rows of jumbo muffins in the windows of the many bakeries lining the streets of New York City, including Grand Central Station and Penn Station.
We learned that muffins rise better, taste better, and feel better with each bite when we use olive oil as opposed to butter. Bonus: It’s better for you, too.
NOTE: If you liked this video, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. Remember to click the little ‘bell’ icon so you’ll never miss a new video. Thank you!
The Ingredients You Will Need
The ingredients for these jumbo muffins are straight-forward. The Lemon Olive Oil is critical in achieving the perfect taste and texture for the muffins. See below for the best place to get the lemon olive oil.
Here’s What You’ll Need to Have on Hand
Flour – All-purpose.
Baking powder – Check the ‘best used by’ date. If expired, get a new batch.
Salt – Go with regular table salt, not coarse Kosher.
Eggs – Room temperature.
Sugar – Cane sugar is best and can be found in the baking section of most supermarkets.
Lemon-infused olive oil – We get ours from Rancho Azul y Oro, and it truly takes the muffins to the next level.
Lemon zest – Fresh is always best
Ricotta cheese – Whole milk for a more dense muffin, skim ricotta (low fat) for a lighter muffin (Wesley prefers the slightly denser version).
Buttermilk – Whole or low-fat will work.
Vanilla extract – Get a good-quality brand, if possible. We like Neilsen-Massey.
Blueberries – Fresh is a must (frozen will work in an absolute pinch).
Sugar crystals – Turbinado is great and can be found in the baking section of most supermarkets.
EXPERT TIP: You’ll want to be gentle as you bring the batter together. A wooden spoon is all you need. Make a well with the flour mixture, then pour in the egg and oil mixture, top with the blueberries. Stir until the batter resembles the consistency of cookie batter.
Tips for Making Perfect Lemon and Blueberry Jumbo Muffins
Use Lemon-Infused Oil, Not Butter – Even though we love butter as much as anyone, we have found that lemon-infused olive oil makes the best jumbo muffins. We can’t say enough about Rancho Azul y Oro’s Lemon Olive Oil. It’s the best!
Fill the Pans Almost Completely – First, you’ll need to make sure you have the correct jumbo muffin pans. Then, spray them all over with cooking spray (including the tops). And then, fill the batter almost to the rim of every hole in the pan. You’ll have just enough batter to make 6 jumbo muffins.
Start with a Super-Hot Oven – Make sure you’ve preheated your oven to 425°F for at least 15 minutes. As soon as you reach 6 minutes, lower the heat to 375°F. That may not seem like that much of a change, but the super hot temperature helps to create the height you are looking for.
How To Serve
These muffins are absolutely mouth-watering when served warm, and fresh from the oven.
However, you can prepare them a day in advance and then keep them in an airtight container. Place on baking rack and reheat in a 325°F for about 15 minutes, until lightly warmed. Or, serve them at room temperature.
The muffins are amazing on their own, but, they are really pretty spectacular with a spread of softened butter down the center of them after you’ve split one open.
They are perfect for a holiday breakfast feast, or baby shower, or just a fun weekend with the family.
EXPERT TIP: You can use a liner for the muffin pan if you desire. We’ve tried them with and without, and both are great. We do recommend getting them out of the pan as soon as you can. If they sit too long, they run the risk of getting soggy bottoms.
Other Classic Baked Breakfast Pastries and Breads to Try
Breakfast just wouldn’t be breakfast without a delicious pastry or baked goods. Here are some of our favorite recipes that you will most likely love, too.
Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake
Honey Nut Muffins with Cheerios®
Banana Nut Bread
Homemade Monkey Bread
Grandma’s Cinnamon Rolls
Orange Sweet Rolls
Apple Cider Doughnuts
Jelly and Custard Doughnuts
These are all amazing in their own right, but isn’t the jumbo muffin calling your name right about now?
These muffins are not only jumbo, they are absolutely delicious and always a hit with family and guests.
Follow the recipe as written, and you’ll be very happy with the results.
Make a double batch and enjoy them all week and weekend! Double jumbo!
Ready to make the best jumbo muffins this side of New York City? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a photo of them, post it on Instagram, and tag #HowToFeedaLoon and hashtag #HowToFeedaLoon!
Lemon and Blueberry Jumbo Muffins
- 1 Jumbo muffin pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt regular salt, not coarse
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup cane sugar
- ½ cup lemon-infused olive oil
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese whole milk OR part-skim: See NOTES
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Cooking spray
- ¼ cup coarse sugar such as turbinado
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt until blended (about 30 seconds of gently blending with a whisk or fork).3 cups all-purpose flour, 4 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, use a fork or wooden spoon to mix the eggs with the sugar. Stir until blended. Add the oil, lemon zest, ricotta cheese, buttermilk, and vanilla, and mix until incorporated.2 large eggs, 1 cup cane sugar, ½ cup lemon-infused olive oil, Zest of 1 large lemon, ¼ cup ricotta cheese, ¾ cup buttermilk, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Using your hands, or a large wooden spoon, form a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Add the egg/oil mixture and the blueberries into the well area you created in the flour mixture.1 cup fresh blueberries
- Using the wooden spoon, fold the dry ingredients into the wet, slowly, until all pockets of flour have been incorporated. About 1 to 2 minutes. The batter will be very thick and resemble moist cookie dough.
- Spray a large muffin pan with cooking/baking spray, including the top of the pan.Cooking spray
- Use a large spoon or ice cream scooper to fill each muffin holder nearly to the brim.
- Top each muffin with a healthy pinch of sugar crystals.¼ cup coarse sugar
- Bake for 6 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to 375°F and continue baking for 22 - 25 minutes, or until tops are lightly brown, and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Carefully remove muffins from the tin as soon as possible. If left in the pans, the bottoms will become soggy.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes on a rack.
POST UPDATE: This recipe was originally published in March 2018, but was updated with improved tweaks to the recipe with new tips and photography and a fabulous new video in August 2023!