These Homemade Orange Sweet Rolls are heavenly. Fluffy, sweet and bursting with bright orange flavor. Make a batch of these and see how fast they go.
Growing up, I loved the store-bough variety, but I knew if I could make them from scratch…they would be through-the-roof good. Boy howdy, I was right about that. And the Loon? Forget about it. 140% Loon Approved.
And if you love these, you’ll probably also love our Cranberry Bread Pudding with Orange Sauce!
Homemade Orange Sweet Rolls
FOR THE DOUGH
- 3 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 oz package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter cubed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
FOR THE SWEET ROLLS
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbs orange zest
FOR THE ICING
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tbsp fresh orange juice
MAKE THE DOUGH
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour and yeast.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, sour cream, butter, sugar and salt and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reads 120 F on a candy thermometer.
- With mixer on low speed, carefully add milk mixture to flour mixture.
- Add egg and beat until dough forms. Turn off mixer.
- Switch to dough hook attachment and beat at medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic, approximately 5 minutes (Dough should pull away from sides of bowl, but still stick to bottom).
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place dough in prepared bowl, turning to coat top.
- Cover, and let rise in a warm draft-free place until dough has about doubled in size, approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
PREPARE THE SWEET ROLLS
- Spray a 9-inch round pan (2 inches in height works well) with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Lightly punch down the prepared dough and on a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14"x10" rectangle.
- Spread butter (6 tablespoons) evenly over dough.
- In a small bowl, stir together sugar (3/4 cup) and zest (2 tablespoons) then sprinkle over butter.
- Starting on one long side, roll dough into a log; pinch seam to seal.
- Slice into 9 to 10 rolls.
- Place rolls in prepared pan.
- Cover, and let rise in a warm draft-free place until almost doubled in sized, approximately 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, approximately 35 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes.
MAKE THE ICING AND FINISH THE ROLLS
- In a medium bowl, stir together remaining 1 teaspoon zest, confectioners' sugar, and orange juice until smooth.
- Drizzle and smear icing over warm rolls.