Shrimp / Crab Stock adds amazing depth and flavor to anything from gumbo, cioppino, fish chowder and so much more. If you can find shrimp with their heads on, that really is awesome. That can be hard to find sometimes. Another amazing option is to go with shrimp shells and blue crabs. You can get blue crabs at most seafood markets, or online. Make a double batch and freeze what you don’t use. You will be so glad you did!!
Shrimp / Crab Stock
- 1/2 lb shrimp shells and heads 1/2 lb of shells and heads only...body of the shrimp should be removed before weighing
- 16 oz. whole blue crab optional
- 1 gallon water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves smashed (I use my garlic press)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon thyme chopped (can use 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Rinse shrimp shells and heads and whole crabs under cold water.
In large stock pot, combine all ingredients, and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, skimming occasionally.
Remove stock from heat, and strain through a fine-mesh sieve.