This Christmas Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Sauce recipe is such a wonderful dessert during the holidays…or, anytime, for that matter!
The batter for the cake is classic gingerbread! So moist and flavorful. The glorious smell of gingerbread will fill your house as this bakes in the oven.
The lemon sauce is just heavenly and it matches perfectly with the moist gingerbread cake..
The sauce comes together quickly on the stove top.
This cake is the perfect holiday dessert. Easy to make and always a real crowd-pleaser!
Kids and adults love this awesome Christmas Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Sauce!
Just an FYI: This Christmas Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Sauce is Santa’s favorite dessert!
Now, go and make your house smell amazing and make this awesome Christmas Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce recipe!
- 2½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup of light brown sugar
- ¾ cup light molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses and eggs; beat well.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Top with lemon sauce and sprinkle with grated lemon peel.
- LEMON SAUCE
- Combine the sugar, butter, and cream in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until butter is melted, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer for 5 minutes.
- If desired, thicken with a little cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of cold water...mixed)
- Stir in lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Cool slightly.
- Pour over gingerbread cake!