This slightly sweet treat is just so wonderful. Perfect during the holidays, or really, any time of the year!
This is so perfect when served after an amazing meal with some espresso, or coffee, or your favorite after-dinner drink. The flavors really work perfectly here! So good. Enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE BISCOTTI WITH PISTACHIOS AND DRIED CHERRIES
Biscotti is so much easier to make than you might think. It is an amazing snack that originated in Italy, and we just can’t get enough!
It all starts with the dried ingredients.
Lightly baked, and then brought together with an egg mixture.
Oats, sugar, and flour kick the party off.
The addition of citrus will almost always brighten a dish.
We love orange zest in our biscotti.
Use a micro-plane, zester, or the small blades on the side of a box grater.
FORMING THE BISCOTTI
Once the dried ingredients are ready, it’s time to add the eggs, oil, orange zest, and vanilla extract.
Form the dough together with your hands.
The dough will loosely hold together, which is actually what you want.
Now, use your hands to form to rolls of the biscotti dough.
By the way, Biscotti with Pistachios and Dried Cherries is great at the holidays, but so are our Naughty and Nice Spiced Nuts!
Back to the biscotti! Now we’ve got two rolls, ready for the oven!
HOW TO CUT BISCOTTI
Before baking, slice the rolls into slices, about 1/3″ in thickness.
Then bake for about 40 minutes, until crisp and slightly browned.
Ready to make biscotti at home? Go for it, it’s so easy!
And when you do, take a picture, post it to Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
Biscotti with Pistachios and Dried Cherries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 1/2 cups pistachios roasted and shelled shelled
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Blend on low speed for about 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and then whisk in the oil, zests, and extracts.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture; beat until combined.
- Fold in the cherries and the pistachios.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and divide in half.
- Using floured hands, shape each dough half into a 16" long log.
- Transfer the logs to the prepared baking sheet, about 5" apart.
- Flatten each log into a 2" wide strip (about 1/2" - 3/4" tall).
- Bake until lightly browned and set, about 25 minutes...rotate the pan about halfway through.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 250 F.
- Line a second baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the biscotti to a work surface.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into 1/3"-thick slices.
- Arrange slices, cut side down, on the baking sheets.
- Bake biscotti until crisp, about 40 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Transfer to wire rack to let cool.