I made these last Thanksgiving as one of the appetizer dishes as people started to arrive…these were definitely the most popular…and were gone quickly. You take one look at these shrimp balls, and think…”huh…who knew they were so big!” Fry them at 350 F for about 8 to 10 minutes, or bake in a 375 F oven for 15 minutes, flipping once. (For game day…give ’em a fry…they fry quickly…and make the outer Panko crumbs so crunch..while the inside moist and delish).
Amazing Asian Shrimp Balls with Spicy Dipping Sauce
- 2 lbs shrimp peeled and deveiend
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and finely minced
- 6 green onions aka scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp fish sauce found in the Asian section of you super market
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Asian chili paste
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 12 oz cans sliced water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups Panko breadcrumbs
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic sliced and pressed through a garlic press (or just minced finely)
- 4 green onions or scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Asian chili paste such as sambael oeleck
- Pre-heat oil in your fryer or in a deep skillet (fill oil to about 1/2 below lip of the skillet). Or...pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Combine all the shrimp ball ingredients, except the Panko in a large bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- In batches (probably about 3 batches), add the mixture into your food processor. Pulse until forms a coarse paste.
- Add back to the large bowl.
- Mix in a cup of the Panko bread crumbs.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of bread crumbs in a decent-sized plate.
- With wet fingers, form a ball of the shrimp mixture about a 3/4 inch ball.
- Roll the ball in the bread crumbs.
- Place the breaded balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment, or wax, paper
- Put the balls in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Fry (or bake) the balls, batches, for about 8 to 10 minutes, until golden on the outside. If baking...bake for 20 minutes...flipping after 10 minutes.
FOR THE DIP
Mix all ingredients and place in small bowl for dipping.