These mushroom and tofu vegetarian steamed dumplings literally explode with flavor. Who cares if there’s no meat in these…they are amazing. (oh, and by the way, they are healthy…use a bamboo steamer…find it at Bed, Bath and Beyond!)
Vegetarian Steamed Dumplings
- 1 package banana leaves frozen or fresh
- 1 package dumpling wrappers* if you can't get dumpling wrappers, then work with wonton wrappers
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 cups fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup medium-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce ie, Tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp Thai chil sauce*
- *Available at the Asian section of your super market or an Asian market
- Prepare a bamboo steam by lining it banana leaves.
- Place all of the filling ingredients in a food processor.
- Process well to create the consistency of ground meat.
- Lay several of the dumpling wrappers out on a clean working surface.
- Have a small dish a water next to the dough.
- Place 1 heaping teaspoon of the dumpling filling in the center of each wrap..
- Using your finger by dipping in the water, generously moisten the periphery of each wrapper.
- Draw up the two sides of the wrapper and pres together, pinching together along the sides.
- Place the complete dumplings on a plate dusted with flour.
- Place the dumplings in the prepared steamer (they can be touching, just not on top of each other)..
- Steam over high heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve steamed dumplings with Hot & Sweet Thai Sauce.