Ladies and Gents…it doesn’t get much tastier than this: Southern-Fried Shrimp with Homemade Cocktail Sauce. Of course, there are many, many ways to prepare shrimp…but this, I think, tops ’em all. So crunchy, succulent and amazingly flavorful. Whip up a batch of homemade cocktail sauce, and you and your guests will flip over these incredible crustaceans!
First watch us make the Homemade Cocktail Sauce, then watch us make the Southern-Fried Shrimp. Then see the recipes below!
Don’t forget to order Louisiana’s favorite hot sauce: Crystals!!
- 2 dozen large, or extra large, shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon, plus 1½ tablespoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon, plus 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- Oil (I typically use vegetable), for frying
- 1 cup buttermilk, well-shaken
- 2 teaspoons of whole-grain mustard
- Homemade cocktail sauce
- Place the shrimp in a medium bowl and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour with the remaining 1½ tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of pepper, and the cayenne.
- Heat the oil, in a heavy-duty skillet (about 3 - 4 inches deep, or your deep-fryer to 350F) - if you don't have a thermometer, test by tossing a pinch of flour onto the hot oil...if it sinks and doesn't sizzle, it's not ready. If it browns too quickly, it's too hot. You can also try a small piece of bread, using the same guide).
- Mix the buttermilk and mustard in a bowl, and the pour over the seasoned shrimp and combine.
- Working in batches, use a slotted spoon to remove the shrimp from the buttermilk and transfer to the seasoned flour.
- Using a separate dry spoon (or your fingers), toss to evenly coat.
- Carefully slip the battered shrimp into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- (Be sure not to overcrowd the fryer with too many shrimp, this lowers the temp of the oil, and the shrimp won't crisp up as nicely as they should).
- Serve with homemade cocktail sauce