Asparagus is so versatile, and I have to admit, Asparagus Fries are about our favorite way to prepare them. Crunchy and so delicious. Be sure to serve with a great dipping sauce like homemade ranch or kickin’ remoulade sauce. 150% Loon Approved!
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper each (plus a pinch more for the bread crumbs)
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lb asparagus spears ends cut off
- In a large sturdy pot (a Dutch oven works perfectly), heat oil over medium-high heat to 350 F (a candy thermometer helps, or just toss a little piece of bread...and when it sizzles....it's ready).
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cheese, lime juice with 2 tablespoons of water.
- On a plate, mix the flour with the salt and pepper.
- On another plate, mix the bread crumbs with the smoked paprika and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper.
- Run a little water over the asparagus (don't dry)
- Dredge the damp asparagus in the flour, then dip into the egg mixture (let excess drip off), then roll in the bread crumb mixture.
- Repeat the dredging process.
- Working in batches, fry the asparagus until golden brown, about 1 - 2 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain briefly.
- Taste, and sprinkle with a little more salt.