Asparagus is so versatile, and I have to admit, Asparagus Fries are about our favorite way to prepare them. Crunchy and so delicious. Be sure to serve with a great dipping sauce like homemade ranch or kickin’ remoulade sauce. 150% Loon Approved!
These Asparagus Fries are so easy and so delicious . You can go the really healthy route and bake them...but every now and then, it's good to eat them deep fried! Deeeelish! Oh, and double coating is the secret to perfect breading.
Author: Kris Longwell
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablsepsoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, each (plus a pinch more for the bread crumbs)
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 lb asparagus spears, ends cut off
- In a large sturdy pot (a Dutch oven works perfectly), heat oil over medium-high heat to 350 F (a candy thermometer helps, or just toss a little piece of bread...and when it sizzles....it's ready).
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cheese, lime juice with 2 tablespoons of water.
- On a plate, mix the flour with the salt and pepper.
- On another plate, mix the bread crumbs with the smoked paprika and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper.
- Run a little water over the asparagus (don't dry)
- Dredge the damp asparagus in the flour, then dip into the egg mixture (let excess drip off), then roll in the bread crumb mixture.
- Repeat the dredging process.
- Working in batches, fry the asparagus until golden brown, about 1 - 2 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain briefly.
- Taste, and sprinkle with a little more salt.
- Serve with homemade ranch or kickin remouldade sauce.