Oh, how I just love this Amazing Mahi Mahi Tacos recipe. I love to grill them on my new indoor smokeless grill. I blacken these somewhat, so you can easily cook them in a hot non-stick skillet or bake them in the oven. Anyway you do them, they are super delicious.
And, they come together very quickly, and the combination of the blackened mahi mahi, the avocado-lime slaw, the kick of the chipotle mayo and all the fixins is out of this world.
And grilling them on this awesome Indoor Smokeless Grill by Phillips has become almost a weekly event at our home. It’s that awesome.
Look at how delicious these Mahi Mahi Tacos are! So delicious and we just can’t get enough of them!
These have become one of our favorite go-to tacos recipes. Watch, laugh, and you’ll see why.
130% Loon Approved!
Now, go ahead and make this Mahi Mahi Tacos recipe! You’re going to love it!
- FOR THE AVOCADO-LIME SLAW:
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 pickled jalapenos, or 1 fresh, cored and seeded
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 12 oz. bag of slaw mix (or 1 cup fresh green cabbage, 1 cup red cabbage, 2 carrots, chopped and grated)
- FOR THE CHIPOTLE AIOLI
- ½ cup quality mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (or for more heat, 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce from canned chipotles)
- Pinch of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- FOR THE MAHI MAHI:
- 1¼ lb of skinless mahi mahi fillets, cut into 12 pieces (can aslo use fresh tuna steak)
- 4 teaspoons of chipotle chili powder (or New Mexico or Ancho)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, for garnish
- ½ cup thinly sliced radish, for garnish
- 2 fresh jalapenos, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Hot sauce, such as Tobasco, for garnish
- MAKE THE AVOCADO-LIME SLAW:
- In a food processor, add the mayo, avocado, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, jalapenos, salt and pepper and pulsed into completely blended.
- Add the mayo-avocado mixture to the slaw and stir until fully coated. Set aside.
- MAKE THE CHIPOTLE-AIOLI:
- Stir together the mayo, garlic, lime juice, chili powder (or adobo sauce), salt and pepper. Set aside.
- PREPARE THE MAHI MAHI:
- Make the marinade by mixing together in a medium bowl the chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion and garlic powders, salt, pepper, lime juice, and olive oil.
- Add the mahi mahi and turn to coat. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat your grill to high heat.
- Thread each fish piece with a skewer (not necessary, but helps keep the fish from falling through the grates). Discard the left-over marinade.
- Oil the grill rack. Then grill the fish, turning once, until opaque and just cooked through, about 8 minutes total.
- Heat the tortillas directly on the grill rack, or place in aluminum foil, and heat on the grill.
- Place the cooked fish in the warmed tortilla and top with slaw, fresh cilantro, radishes, chipotle aioli, sliced jalapenos, and hot sauce.