This post is kindly sponsored by OZO™, but the recipe, photographs, video, and opinions are 100% ours.
If you’re looking to improve your diet, yet not compromise on flavor, you’ve come to the right place.
As the leading state in the U.S. for agricultural production, California is famous for farm-fresh produce, especially those amazingly delicious avocados. We are so excited to share this wonderful plant-based burger that is loaded with that undeniable California farm-fresh taste.
How To Make a California Burger
There are just so many things to love about this California-style burger.
It’s incredible in taste. It’s loaded with amazing nutritional goodness. And it couldn’t be easier to prepare.
Before we get to the headliner of this burger, the incredibly delicious OZO Plant-Based Burger, let’s talk about those amazing California flavor enhancements.
We love making a batch of our homemade Chimichurri Aioli for our California Burger.
Chimichurri is a deeply flavorful condiment that is loaded with fresh ingredients including parsley, cilantro, garlic, onion, red bell pepper, red wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, and herbs.
Mix this with some mayonnaise and the juice of fresh lemon, and you’ve got an aioli that will complement the burger wonderfully.
EXPERT TIP: The chimichurri aioli can be prepared several days in advance and kept in an air-tight jar with a tight-fitting lid in the fridge. We absolutely love making our mayonnaise from scratch, and it’s really much easier than you might think.
OZO Plant-Based Protein is Naturally Delicious
We are so thrilled partnered with OZO™ for this incredible burger.
The OZO Plant-Based Proteins are straightforward and include no artificial ingredients. Even though they are certified vegan, they are also perfect to use in a “flexitarian” diet. In other words, skip the beef, but not the cheese! These burgers feature a high-quality pea protein that is a great source of iron and has been known to aid in muscle growth, weight loss, and heart health. And they’re great with melted cheese and a little chimichurri aioli. And of course, avocados, but more on that shortly.
EXPERT TIP: We love cooking these out on the grill, but they can easily be cooked on a griddle or skillet! Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 3 to 4 minutes of cooking per side. We use our grill pan for easy flipping, but that’s not 100% necessary.
Building the Classic California Flavor Profile
While the burgers are cooking, it’s time to quickly prep the avocados.
After peeling and removing the pit, we take a large, sharp knife and cut the avocado into thin slices.
Once you are ready to place on top of the burger, you just gently press the slices down and slightly sideways to form the perfect topping.
Simple Ingredients Make the Best Burger
There is a reason this burger is so incredibly flavorful: The simplicity and freshness of clean ingredients.
We can say without one hesitation of doubt that OZO has completely raised the bar on plant-based protein offerings. In addition to these incredible protein-based burgers, OZO also offers Plant-Based Ground and Plant-Based Mexican Seasoned Ground. The sky is the limit with these delicious products!
As you all know, we think eating delicious food is one of the greatest joys in life – and OZO meets us at the culinary intersection of superior taste, nutrition, and convenience.
Don’t you want some of this?
When To Serve a California Burger
We love to offer these amazing burgers as an option when grilling outside.
In fact, they are a spectacular option at a festive ‘at-home’ tailgating party!
Set out all of the ingredients out on a festive table and let guests build their own burger!
After one bite, you and your guests will be believers!
We can’t rave enough about the OZO Plant-Based Burgers for our incredible California Burgers! They are an absolutely delicious blend of pea and rice protein fermented by shiitake mushrooms.
The Loon took one bite and simply couldn’t believe it was a meatless hamburger.
And what’s even better, these burgers contain no cholesterol and have fewer calories, fat and saturated fat than 80% lean ground beef. In other words: “It’s OZO good!”
Ready to make the best ‘flexitarian’ hamburger ever? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a photo of it, post it on Instagram, and tag @HowToFeedaLoon and @OZOFoods1!
Plant-Based California Burger
- Gas, charcoal, or electric grill. Or, griddle or medium-sized skillet.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chimichurri sauce homemade or purchased
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 OZO Plant-Based Burgers Thawed 24 hours in advance in the refrigerator
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns brioche
- 2 avocados peeled and pit removed
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 1 stack green leaf lettuce torn into bun-sized pieces
Make the Chimichurri Aioli
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise with the chimichurri sauce and lemon juice. Place in refrigerator until ready to use. If making in advance, place in a small jar with a lid.
Prepare the Burgers
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Lightly season the burgers on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the burgers and buns (cut side down) directly on the grill, or in a grill pan over direct heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes and then use a spatula to flip the burgers. Cook for another 4 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Add the cheese slices during the last couple minutes of cooking. Keep an eye on the buns, remove them from the grill as soon as they are slightly browned and toasty.
- Meanwhile, cut the avocados in thin strips, lengthwise. Use your hand to slightly flatten the slices, gently pushing down and to the side. If desired, lightly sprinkle salt and pepper on the tomato slices.
- Remove the burgers and buns from the grill, and build the burgers by smearing a thin layer of the chimichurri mayo on the bottom bun, then a layer of lettuce, tomato slice, and then burger with cheese. Top with sliced avocados and top bun. Serve at once.