We just can’t get enough of good Italian pasta dishes. And this Fresh Fettuccine with Creamy Sausage Sauce is something to behold. The flavors are so comforting and the fresh pasta just puts it over the top. I like mixing fresh egg pasta with spinach pasta, but you can go with one, or both. So amazingly satisfying!
Fresh Fettuccine with Creamy Sausage Sauce
- 12 oz. fresh pasta mix of spinach and egg is great!
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon, each)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup whole tomatoes drained
- 1 cup beef stock
- Freshly grated Parmigian-Reggiano cheese for serving
- In a large skillet, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the carrot, celery and onion and saute until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add the sausage and stir to break into smaller clumps.
- Sprinkle with the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sausage is almost fully cooked, about 8 minutes.
- Add the milk, stir well, and cook until starts to simmer, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and tomatoes into the sauce, mixing well.
- Reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours (stirring occasionally).
- Add the beef stock a little at a time during the cooking to keep the sauce moist.
- Bring a pot a salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Add the pasta to the sauce in the skillet and toss until the strands are well coated with the sauce.
- Pass the grated cheese at the table.