This Chicken Gryo with Tzatziki Sauce is just exploding with amazing flavor. The Loon and I have a place in New York City that we love that serves the best gyros (lamb and/or chicken) that we have ever had. Most of us don’t have a giant rotating spit at home that we can carve the meat from. I think this recipe comes close to being just as good. Marinated chicken that is grilled to perfection. Then nestled into a warm seasoned pita (pocketless) and topped with classic ingredients such as lettuce, tomatoes, onion and of course…homemade tzatziki sauce!!
This is the real deal, and so good!! 140% Loon Approved!
Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce
FOR THE MARINATED CHICKEN
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Juice of one lemon about 2 tablespoons
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Greek plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
FOR THE CUCUMBER TOPPING
- 1 cucumber cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes quartered, or halved
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt and black pepper each
FOR THE PITA BREAD AND ASSEMBLY
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce thinly sliced
- 4 8-inch pocketless pita rounds or use nann bread
- Homemade tzatziki sauce click for full recipe
MARINATE THE CHICKEN
- Combine the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, EVOO, yogurt, oregano and healthy pinches of salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together until well mixed.
- Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well to coat. Place in a large plastic freezer bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
MAKE THE CUCUMBER TOPPING
- Combine together the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, parsley, mint, lemon juice (1/2 teaspoon) and salt and pepper (1/4 teaspoon each). Mix well. Set aside.
PREPARE THE PITAS AND CHICKEN, AND THEN ASSEMBLE
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. (Alternately, place chicken in hot skillet and cook for 7 - 10 minutes, until done).
- Add chicken to grill and cook until fully cooked (about 15 minutes). Discard left-over marinade.
- Meanwhile, gently simmer the EVOO, oregano, rosemary, garlic (2 minced cloves), 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in small saucepan over medium heat until garlic is aromatic, but not browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Brush the grilled chicken with some of the infused oil.
- Turn broiler on high.
- Brush remaining infused oil over one side of the pita rounds, and then broil, oiled side up, on a rimmed baking sheet covered with foil for 3 minutes.
- Uncover and broil for 3 more minutes, rotating the baking sheet half-way through for even browning (Keep an eye on them, don't let them burn!).
- Spread some of the tzatziki sauce on warm bread and top with chicken, lettuce and cucumber topping.
- Serve with extra tzatziki on the side.